Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you Dimension a 3D sheet metal part in NX5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6BQ5

Mechanical
Mar 23, 2009
US
Hi,

I have a 3D 3 sided pan made in sheet metal. I would like to dimention this in 3D or show some dimensions in a 3D view. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You mean something like the attached example?

Note that these 3D dimensions were created using the PMI module (extra cost) which was developed so that 3D models could be annotated in a manner which does not depend on conventional drawings consisting of multiple orthographic views. Note that PMI also supports Notes/Labels, Geometric Tolerancing, Sectioning, Surface Finish Symbols. Multiple sets of dimensions can be created which can be shown or not by choice and can also support the Master Model approach so that you can still support simultaneous work-flows. Also these PMI 'objects' (they may look like regular drafting objects and to some extent they are, but they are tagged so that we can manage them differently) are accessible via the Part Navigator and are collected in views they were defined in.

Now just so you know, while I did say that the PMI module was an extra cost item since it does provide added value in terms of both what it does and how one can manage and leverage the information captured with these tools, this does not mean that you can't provide at least the basic 3 D dimensioning of a model. In fact, you could have created exactly the same set of 'Drafting' dimensions on this 3D model using the tools which you already have access to as part of NX Drafting. However, in order to create dimensions so that they display the correct values and are placed properly relative to the objects referenced, you will have to manually manipulate the plane of the WCS, something which can often be done automatically when placing PMI objects which can provide a very efficient workflow if this will be a common requirement in you processes.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

So do I have to bring in a sheet to dimension or can I do it in the actual Model; if so what menue function should I look for?

Thanks

Just go to the Drafting module, but turn OFF the display of the Drawing sheet and it will be as if you were working in a modeling view except that you'll have access to all of the Drafting Dimensions and Annotations normally available when creating a traditional drawing.

Note that when using PMI, you continue to work directly in Modeling module with it's functionality available as just another set of toolbar which is toggled ON when needed, rather than requiring you to leave one module and enter another, as is required if you wish to add a few 'drafting' dimensions to your model.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

If you're going to dimension in model space do take note of what John says about repositioning the WCS relative to the objects that you're dimensioning. The dimensions you create will initially at least be view dependant in the view where they were created, so it probably would help to save a named view to help you find them again next time.

The trap for new players is that you create dimensions as 2D objects on a plane, but occasionally the plane is either offset or completely incorrect relative to the view geometry despite looking okay at the time you created it. True dimensions in order to be created in isometric views will still need to be in the correct plane which often places the text skewed to the viewer and somewhat more difficult too read.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Also the PMI dimensioning does get around this, but you still have to be careful in what you select since you can easily get a 3D true dimension when intending to pick objects in the orthographic planes. However the text is oriented to the viewer.

The downside is that it does require the extra license. However knowing that I'm writing at a time when many users are looking at swapping over bundles to a newer set of definitions (the Mach bundles) you may find as I did that you qualify for one of the bundles that includes this functionality. It turns out to be less than essential but nevertheless quite a handy addition that I think many existing users will really like and possibly save time and effort by using.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back