Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot run Input files, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlyq

Bioengineer
Jun 6, 2010
US
I'm having some major issues and need help ASAP. I have a project due and can't get ABAQUS to work with me.

I have been running similar analyses for well over 6 months. This problem has nothing to do with any changes I made to the input file. 3 weeks ago I got an error when I submitted a job saying the drive was full. Odd - I have several Tb worth of space, and I only have about 10 Gb full. Even still, I emptied out some files that were useless and life continued until Monday morning. Same problem happened again - disk full. This time (stupid me) I called our IT guys to look into it. They found somewhere in the system that ABAQUS had been limited to 10GB of drive space. They eliminated this quota and said I was fine. I'm not fine.

Now, this is the error I am getting:
A SINGLE CONTIGUOUS BLOCK OF MEMORY OF SIZE 3.20 GBYTES IS REQUIRED FOR INPUT FILE PROCESSING. THE LARGEST AVAILABLE CONTIGUOUS BLOCK OF MEMORY AVAILABLE IS OF SIZE 804.00 MBYTES. IT WILL NOT BE POSSIBLE TO COMPLETE INPUT FILE PROCESSING ON THIS MACHINE.

I am running on a 64 bit system with 32GB of RAM. The memory allocation for the job was initially set to 90% and ramp up if possible was checked. Logic has it that I reduce my memory allocation to about 800Mb, right? Then this happens:
THE REQUESTED MEMORY CANNOT BE ALLOCATED. PLEASE CHECK THE SETTING FOR MEMORY. THIS ERROR IS CAUSED BY MEMORY BEING GREATER THAN THE MEMORY AVAILABLE TO THIS PROCESS. POSSIBLE CAUSES ARE INSUFFICIENT MEMORY ON THE MACHINE, OTHER PROCESSES COMPETING FOR MEMORY, OR A LIMIT ON THE AMOUNT OF MEMORY A PROCESS CAN ALLOCATE.

So, if I have high memory allocated (the default which has worked fine before), it says it's too much. But, when put low, it says sorry, no dice.

My IT dept doesn't have a clue what is going on. I called ABAQUS and they are looking into it, but I REALLY need to get back on this TODAY and am impatient to wait.

I am running all of this on a Windows 64 bit machine with CAE. I do not know much much at all about env files (infact I can't even seem to find one, problem??) or python scripts, but if someone can walk me through it I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i have has this problem aswel. i have a systel with 4gb ram and it wanted a contigious block of 923mb ram and only 920 was available, i reduced the elements and it came up wanting 915 and only 910 available, i simply submitted it to a server after that and it took many more hours than my computer would but it worked,
you can also try reducing the amount of recordings u have for history output, i sometimes want output every 0.0001s so i reduce this to 0.0005 etc
let me know how abaqus solve this aswel

Thanks for the tips. I actually did work for quite awhile yesterday simplifying the model, but it didn't work. Finally, I convinced the IT guys to reboot the server I was running on and now it works just fine. No idea what changed or why this happened, but I'm back to running again. Now, if my simulation would only work.....but that's a different problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back