Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Canopy support to brick veneer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK4S

Structural
Jan 2, 2015
US
Looking for suggestions to figure out how to resolve a canopy support issue.
I designed a canopy support at the Overhead garage door openings at a building for the configuration proposed by the architect.
The structural framing is primarily HSS tubes supporting the canopy deck with HSS members forming a bracket at the ends. The brackets are anchored to the reinforced masonry walls.
Section of canopy support showing End bracket:
2_Full_section_iup765.jpg

The architect did not want to see the underside of the steel deck so I ran a 3/8" steel plate under the deck and also used the plate to support the last 12" of the canopy adjacent to the brick veneer. This last 12" portion of the steel plate is supported on the HSS member on one side and on the brick veneer on the other end (plate extends into the mortar joint). This 12" portion of the plate carries the load from the gutter and also snow drift above it from building roof above.

Section of canopy support directly above garage door opening:
1_Section_hyk6xo.jpg

The framing was hot-dipped galvanized. However, looks like it was not clamped or braced adequately during the process and the free ends of the plate has warped and distorted.
2_Photo_qyclfu.jpg

The ends of the plate no longer line up within the mortar joint.

Any suggestions on how I could fix the issue and support the plate end at the brick veneer?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The plate warping has a big delta. so I was thinking of removing an entire brick course at the plate elevation and solid grout it while accommodating the warped edge to fit within the brick veneer:
1_Section_vle91u.jpg

Any thoughts/concerns on this approach?

It's tough to keep long thin plates straight during galvanizing.

Canopies are always a bitch. Why not stop the plate short of the brick?

Somebody (whether your fabricator or galvanizer) should pointed out that free edges on thin plates warp during the galvanizing process. You can't really brace or clamp that edge during the HDG b/c then that spot doesn't get the galv.

Maybe one of the other more distinguished members here can speak to whether HDG plate can be straightened using heat?

Please note that is a "v" (as in Violin) not a "y".

@SWComposites: Not really easy to completely reject the product unless we can justify that there is no other option to use the product.
@JLNJ: cutting the plate short of the brick will create a 12" cantilevered plate which can lead to undesirable deflections under the load.
@WinelandV: I agree, the fabricator or galvanizer should have pointed it out if they expected such an issue during the galvanizing process. I was reading a bit and there are ways one could mitigate the effect by adjusting the HDG process or providing clamps or temp. bracings for thin plates.

I’m not a fan of trying to run that plate back into the plane of brick. Even if the plate didn’t warp, that’s a tough detail to build.

I don’t know how far apart your HSS tube brackets are. If the distance between them is not unreasonable, could you span a bent plate or an HSS section across the tops of these brackets so that this spanning member in turn aligns within a vertical plane of the brick veneer above? You’d have to trim the existing warped plate to be snug to the edge/face of this new member and connect via some sort of stitched weld pattern. In effect, this new member would carry brick veneer above (rendering the already detailed shelf angle on the side of the HSS12x8 free of any loading within the width of the canopy region) as well as the small trib of the 3/8 plate. The little bit of brick below the plate would/should just go away.

That all said, I tend to agree with an earlier comment that the plate simply be cut short of the face of brick and let it cantilever. It’s a reasonably thick plate, and the loading sounds very small (some drift snow and gutter?). How much load is the end of this cantilever plate actually going to see, and have you calculated the corresponding deflection? Another benefit of keeping the plate clear is it allows the brick veneer to find a home on the same support that it resides on everywhere else: the bent plate that is welded to the side of the HSS12x8. That makes the mason happy, helps the overall constructability, and eliminates any possible differential movement/cracking weirdness from occurring as a result of the plate penetrating into the plane of brick veneer and creating an oddball incidental restraint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back