Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't find a job-unemployed for over 7 months 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaterialsDude

Materials
Sep 16, 2009
CA
I am truly frustrated with my job hunt. I have both a Bachelor's and Master's degree in Materials Engineering and have been laid off since February. I only have about 3 years experience but I never imagined I would still be unemployed for so long. I thought 2 months max and I would find a job in my field but still nothing. I have done networking, getting my resumes proof read,applying to jobs all over the country (I'm in Canada) and even jobs in the US but can't seem to get anyone to hire me.

I am now starting to look at jobs way below me and remove my Master's from my resume but even by doing so, I'm still considered overqualified and so landing a "simple" job is a challenge in itself. I am on Unemployment and even have some savings, and so the financial aspect isn't too bad. I just want to put my skills to use and feel that I'm contributing to society.

I feel useless at times and feel that people who aren't in my shoes and can't see the effort that I'm putting in my job hunt just can't understand my situation and think I'm nopt trying enough. I don't exactly need to go back to school because I already have a Master's as well. Any advice?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That sucks a lot. I don't know where a "Materials Engineer" would work. Seems like a skill set that would either work in a Lab or be support for a number of project teams. Most Lab's I've been around, the guy that cleans the test tubes has a Masters anyone doing anything fun has a PhD. The only companies that have "a number of concurrent projects" are pretty large. I think if I were you, I'd have my resume in the hands of the 100 largest industrial companies in the world plus every tech company. After 7 months of looking, it is clear that your current strategy isn't working well--I'd look for another strategy.

Good Luck

David

Did you cover enough mechanical stuff to pass as a mechy type guy?

I think back in the UK materials would normally have been a specialization of mechanical or aerospace so you'd arguable have still been qualified for those jobs to some extent. Though that said the only dedicated materials guy I ever worked with was actually a geologist with a masters in materials, so maybe I'm full of it.

While not something I'd normally recomend/stress if you do have basic qualifcations to be mechanical eng are there any steps you could take to make your self more attractive in that field? Maybe some drafting or GD&T classes at a local school? Learning anyone software system (be it CAD, FEA etc.) doesn't necessarily help that much as there are several to choose from but if you're desparate you could consider it.

My dad was out several years in the early 90's recession, so I can sympathize to some extent with your plight.

Good luck.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

It's hard duty, but you can survive it. I had the rotten luck to get laid off shortly before 9-11 and couldn't buy a job because of too many years/too many degrees. I had to support my wife & disabled kid. I survived the resultant 36-month recession by:

Teaching classes at the local community college.
Worked a few short term contract jobs.
Started a company and freelanced, a lot. Even in a deep recession, there is always a need for problem solvers. I got creative about how to apply my problem solving skills to companies' needs.
Doing a lot of volunteer work and expanding my network to non-engineering areas. I took a hint from my buddy's experience. A smart EE with lots of computer skills, he volunteered for United Way doing computer work. He met lots of those agressive ladder-climbing hotshot corporate types that were "doing their stint" and the connections served him well.
Worked in my garden, and took care of my family.
Taking charity from my church when they offered, even though I didn't need it.
Cutting expenses to the bone...and deeper, and ruthlessly (I live very frugally now, and am much happier).
Studying, learning new things, expanding my outlook.
Staying involved with local engineer societies, friends, etc, to pick up the occasional lead. Not as useful as one may think.
Constantly, constantly looking for a job or some way to turn my skills into money.

Some tips:
Headhunters are useless.
Online job marts are almost as useless, except to discern who may be hiring. Those jobs that are posted have lots of hidden truths behind them, proceed with caution.
Inviting someone out to lunch was usually the best $7 investment I've ever made.
Apply directly to companies, and don't quit until you know it's dead. I applied online once, and never heard back. It turned out the online web form scrambled my resume and they couldn't find out how to get in touch with me.
Sincerely demonstrating that you are trying pays great dividends: people generally want to see other people suceed.
With this economy you may not be able to find a salaried position, but you might find a few 30- or 90-day hourly positions somewhere.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

In my opinion, you can never have too much education. Yes you already have a masters, but you can always go back to finish for a PhD. I had a professor in college that worked in industry for years and even had his company pay for his masters, but when he got laid off, he went back and finished for a PhD. Eventually he did a post doc and became an associate professor. Although this path was not what he originally expected, it worked out for him in the end and he gained a very valuable position at a prestigious university and contributes to society by teaching the next generation of engineers and performing cutting edge research. At the very worst, if you go for a PhD, you may work for little to no money for a while, but it may open a lot of other opportunities that you never expected.

Also, I may not be a materials engineer, but I work in the semiconductor sector and see a lot of materials PhD's. In this particular industry, they seem to value a PhD a lot more than a bachelor's sometimes even a masters. And with PV's becoming more popular, I see even more potential for a materials PhD.

Thanks for the replies and advice guys. I'm definitely facing a fork in the road where I have too many things to think about. There are good days and bad days and if you've been unemployed for this long you can identify.

I have considered the going back to school thing but if I do, I'd rather pursue an entire different career all together, one that would be recession proof.

"one that would be recession proof. " mortician?

A lof of the so called "recession proof" careers aren't any more. Teachers, Social workers, public safety folks other govt workers etc. are facing cutbacks at least in some states.

Even medicine appears to have been impacted a bit, with people losing insurance or wanting to hold onto their savings etc. people are putting off treatment and the like. While I'm not sure it's linked to the recession some of our local facilities have shut recently.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I looked for a job for 5 months (Dec to May) and I know it sucks.
I am a P.Eng with 20 years experience. During the last years I would get jobs in a week, with 10% jumps in salary (I am in Calgary), in December my project came to a screeching halt and then - just nothing. In the end I switched back from design to field work and now I am quite happy with my position.
About the time I got the job I was looking for temp work at Costco and prepared to change careers (to driving instructor).
Keep looking, taylor your resume to match the job description and hope for the best!

I was laid off for 5 months.
Not one interview with any resumes I sent out.
The job that I finally landed (contract) was from my current boss asking a local VAR for someone that knew SolidWorks.
Talk to people and get the word out to friends and family. Eventually someone will call you.
Good luck to you MaterialsDude.

Chris
SolidWorks 09, CATIA V5
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

KENAT's & ctopher's replies indicate a couple of my fundamental truths about employment (IMHO):

1. There is no job security for any field. I certainly believe this now.

2. My Mom was "Depression Era" and she taught me a lesson: always have an in-demand marketable skill (or two, or three) that you can use to put food on the table. For her, it was "typing" during the depression & WWII. For me, it is PLC programming and mechanical CAD design. I have always been able to find a $30/hr job when I needed one doing PLC or CAD work.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

how many resumes have you sent out? it will probably take a couple thousand. you can send a few hundred out in one weekend. i know. send them directly to the company via their website. the internet is a powerful tool.

Thanks,
Scott

I have actually considered taking a couple of CAD classes eventhough its not a big part of materials engineering. Like someone said though, it may help me be able to transfer my skills to a different engineering field like mechanical engineeering. I am strongly considering this.

In terms of the number of resumes I sent out, I've sent out like 330 resumes, but that also includes some non enginering jobs as I've lately been applying to anyting. I'd say maybr 285 engineering resumes were sent out.

Thanks for the advice and replies folks and keep them coming!

Don't know if your materials include different types of steels and other metals. Here in the U.S. power industry, at least at my utility, there are often openings for QA people with background in exotic steels and welding. Among other things, they travel the world, inspecting vendor operations and testing for huge steel castings and such.

I got lucky and got my old job back after a 10.5 month layoff. At least it will look better on my resume that they hired me back. Fotunately for me I didn't have a family to support. So I just spent my savings reliving my college days.

I had about 4 interviews while laid off. One rather early in the process. I was over qualified and would have been underpaid so I declined the second interview. I wouldn't let that happen again. By the time I got my job back I was about to have to move in with my family. Field work in your profession is valuable experience. If you can find some try it out.

Two other interviews for different positions went well but I think I intimidated my interviewers. I'm not going to act dumb but maybe you have to reassure your bosses ego/job security.

MD,

Out of curiousity, what part of Canada are you in? What did you specialize in?

I too am a materials engineer, although with the work I've done, I now consider myself to be mechanical eng. I've done very little materials work.

I've been looking for work for over a year now (so I can leave my current one) and I'd guess that I've applied to over 500 jobs. It sure is frustrating. I can definitely relate to your situation.

In recessions such as the current one, it was not uncommon to take 9 mos or more to find employment. Networking is necessary; attend professional society meetings to find potential job openings. Look at overseas positions. With your Masters Degree, look into Education as tygerdawg did.

You do have a full time job. Job hunting for your next job should be treated as your full time job. You have to structure it in a way that would seem like everyday is like going to work to find that job. That means setting up your work hours (and strictly adhere to it) and organizing your tasks for that day. Channel all you positive strengths toward your goal of landing that job and try to tune out all the negative noise. You don't really need additional education because it will not solve your unemployment problem. You will still need a job after you're done with additional schooling. So that is just delaying the problem.

An option while you're looking for a job is to advertise yourself as a freelance expert or do volunteer work. Try to make a self assesment of your skills and figure out what kind of services you can offer to the public based off your skill sets. It doesn't need to be a paid gig so as not to jeopardize your unemployment benefits. You'll meet new people that might result in leads towards the job your searching. And it beats having to show on your resume that you've been unemployed for X months or so.

It is really tough right now but it's not hopeless. Don't get discourage and hang in there. Good luck!

.....executing your vision.

macmet, I am in Edmonton, Alberta.The funny thing is that it wasn't too long when the Alberta economy was booming and companies were begging people to work for them. Of course when the global economy collapsed so did Alberta's. A lot of my undergrad classmates are in a a similar situation as you where they aren't directly doing materials engineering so you're not alone.

To the other people, I am appreciative and comforted by your words of encouragement and your advice. I have thought a lot about some of the recommendations on here but for some reason can't get away from constantly looking for work. It's driving me nuts and will probably effect my health eventhough I'm fit and hit the gym everyday (it does help with the stress). I also am heading to Vegas for a couple of days this coming week because I need a vacation from all this stress and its the cheapest vacation I can afford right now. Mind you I won't get unemployment for those days but its worth it right now because I'm saving my sanity and probably my health in the long run.

If you want to go get more education, that's fine, but don't go thinking you find a "recession-proof" job. That's unobtainium.

However, you might possibly find another discipline that doesn't experience recessions at the same severity as your first discipline.

Also, you might consider that while you are unemployed, along with 10% of the US work force, the other 90% are employed, and possibly some of the 90% are in the same discipline. What things could you do to make yourself more valuable within the discipline that you chose? I can tell you that in my department, the ones that were let go were considered to be the least versatile.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Apply for a few jobs while you are in Los Vegas, that might make the time eligable for unemployment. You would be able to count time spend traveling for an interview, this is just an interview where you do not have an appointment (but get an appointment if you have time). Get business cards to show you actualy talked to someone.

Peter Stockhausen
Senior Design Analyst (Checker)
Infotech Aerospace Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back