Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't find a job-unemployed for over 7 months 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaterialsDude

Materials
Sep 16, 2009
CA
I am truly frustrated with my job hunt. I have both a Bachelor's and Master's degree in Materials Engineering and have been laid off since February. I only have about 3 years experience but I never imagined I would still be unemployed for so long. I thought 2 months max and I would find a job in my field but still nothing. I have done networking, getting my resumes proof read,applying to jobs all over the country (I'm in Canada) and even jobs in the US but can't seem to get anyone to hire me.

I am now starting to look at jobs way below me and remove my Master's from my resume but even by doing so, I'm still considered overqualified and so landing a "simple" job is a challenge in itself. I am on Unemployment and even have some savings, and so the financial aspect isn't too bad. I just want to put my skills to use and feel that I'm contributing to society.

I feel useless at times and feel that people who aren't in my shoes and can't see the effort that I'm putting in my job hunt just can't understand my situation and think I'm nopt trying enough. I don't exactly need to go back to school because I already have a Master's as well. Any advice?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MaterialsDude, I just received a LinkedIn message from a recruiter in Canada. His description of the position is this:

Materials and Process Engineers position in Montreal on new aircraft program- first flight scheduled for 2012/2013. May involve travel to China working with supplier. Perm and contract positions available- interested or know someone?

I don't know this recruiter or his company so I can't vouch for anything about him, the company, or the position; I'm just passing info along in case someone can benefit.

Can anyone tell me: does posting contact info for a recruiter violate the forum policies?

I also thought it could be Bombardier.

Kenat, thanks for the direction to the notes below the posting window; I was looking in the forum policies.

I'm still not clear if this would be considered recruiting or helping a fellow engineer so I submitted the question to the forum management asking for clarification. Hopefully they will say this is helping a fellow engineer :)

Thanks Materialsliz. Do u know how I may be able to get a hold of this person? I am on linkedin by the way.Maybe I will just go to Bombardier's website.

Hey MaterialsDude,

You should seriously consider getting certified with the Canadian Welding Bureau, and become a welding engineer. You have the materials background, and I think this expertise transfers to many manufacturing industries.

You could offer your services to many clients, as a consultant.

tg

Excellent, if you're on Linkedin you can find him and that releases me from having to post his email, phone #, or other contact info here. His name is Geoff Nixon, he's in Canada.

Have you checked with Shell at Scottford lately? They are hiring a lot more tradesmen now than in the summer. They are also offering a $100 a day bonus to some tradesmen living outside a 125 km radius. They only do that when they are having trouble filling positions.
With that much work on the go there may well be some engineering positions open also.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Well I have looked into some of the tips you great folks are providing me with. I will follow up next week. Has anyone ever looked into buying a business? Today I have started looking at businesses for sale as well as tips for buying a business. I am thinking my 2 options right now are either to go back to school and work menial type jobs until I can start, or just buying a business and working for myself so that I never have to suck up to anyone.

Unless you're independently wealthly, you'all ALWAYS have to suck up to someone, somewhere.

I think, in some respects, being our own boss is worse, since any nasty customers have to be dealt with directly by the boss. As a flunky, you have BD and PM guys to deal with them. You only have to deal with internal stuff, and if you have some luck, you can go years without really having to suck up to anyone.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Valuable advice from IRStuff. Though smaller businesses can offer less internal politics to worry about, it's an illusion that you can ever really be your own boss.

Don't pursue a business unless it's something you're passionate about, otherwise you're very likely to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back