Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't find a job-unemployed for over 7 months 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaterialsDude

Materials
Sep 16, 2009
CA
I am truly frustrated with my job hunt. I have both a Bachelor's and Master's degree in Materials Engineering and have been laid off since February. I only have about 3 years experience but I never imagined I would still be unemployed for so long. I thought 2 months max and I would find a job in my field but still nothing. I have done networking, getting my resumes proof read,applying to jobs all over the country (I'm in Canada) and even jobs in the US but can't seem to get anyone to hire me.

I am now starting to look at jobs way below me and remove my Master's from my resume but even by doing so, I'm still considered overqualified and so landing a "simple" job is a challenge in itself. I am on Unemployment and even have some savings, and so the financial aspect isn't too bad. I just want to put my skills to use and feel that I'm contributing to society.

I feel useless at times and feel that people who aren't in my shoes and can't see the effort that I'm putting in my job hunt just can't understand my situation and think I'm nopt trying enough. I don't exactly need to go back to school because I already have a Master's as well. Any advice?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

lol Peter, I was thinking of doing that but I did already tell the officer at the unemployment office that I am doing this fo leisure so they might suspect my motives afterwards. Also, I do really want a few days to forget about jobs and everything. I need a few days to remain stress free so that I don't die young lol because I'm probably stresing myself more than someone else who may has a family to support with no job. My biggest weakness is that I worry too much even if its unwarranted.

Anyways I don't gamble and so I won't waste any of my money and will stretch each dollar by going to cheaper shows, restaurants etc.

I start a new job on Monday after being out for 5 months. The position I accepted was advertised at a much lower level then I am at, with a payscale to match, but I used my contacts to network with the company and find out why they were looking to fill the position. It turns out it was the first position for a new department that had substantial growth potential. The final agreement come in slightly lower then what I was making, but the experience will be more then worth it.

Moral of my story, network, network, network! Sending in a resume blind does not do much good and only limits your chances of telling your story. Before sending out any resumes, call companies and ask for an informational interview. This is not to ask for a job, but to talk with them about the industry, their company, etc. You need to do research for your job search and this is the best way to do it. Ask them if they know of anyone else you can contact and do the same thing. When a position opens up, they will most likely remember you if they like you, and might make you an offer without advertising the position. It is estimated that about 80% of all positions are not advertised, they are filled by networking.

I would also avoid any recruiter that was not specifically retained by the company to fill a particular position. Ask this before sending in your resume to them. If a recruiter sends in your resume to a company before you do, the company is obligated to pay the recruiter their fee if they hire you for anything for up to a year in some cases. This means you will not be considered by that company unless they cannot find a suitable candidate. Companies want to save money and the easiest way to do that in this market is to avoid recruiters.

Finding the right job is hard work, it will not fall in your lap. You need to actively market yourself to may you stand out from the crowd. A good resume is not enough any longer. You should also sign up for Linkedin if you haven't already. I've been hearing more and more stories of people getting contacted for jobs through there based on their profile.

Keep a positive attitude and take time to enjoy the time off as well, it will help a lot when you do get the interivew.

Have you tried LinkedIN?

I network there pretty heavily, and while I am not "technically" in the job market at this time I have been getting some responses to inquiries I place about job postings. The nice thing about LI is that, as ishgl99 points out, you can talk up recruiters and hiring managers before submitting to the advertised position. This way you aren't blanket mailing your resume to a bunch of data mining softwares or ignorant recruiters. You will find that a lot of the times what a person is really looking for isn't exactly what they are advertising for. Maybe they just don't know what they want, or they aren't able to write a good job description, who knows.

Point is, networking is something that should always be done, employed or not. LI is a great place to network, get seen, and learn about other industries, jobs, and companies.

I'm with Peter on this one, I would apply for a few jobs while in Vegas, even if you aren't trying to write the trip off as a job hunting excursion. When you get back you could show the unemployment office that you contacted and interviewed while there. They may just say that's nice, and leave you hanging, or they may try and figure a way to reimburse you for some of the trip.
This way you are totally up front and honest with them. You went down for a break, and most of the trip was a break. But, you saw an opportunity while there, and took it. The worst that could happen is they say that is nice, and don't give you anything (which is what you are getting now).
Now, if what you really need is a complete and total break from the job hunt, then by all means. It would just be a shame to pass up on a potential opportunity just because you are on vacation.
Anyway, good luck with the job search, and have fun in Vegas.

I definitely understand the importance of networking and try to do so all the time.Also, Previous employers, my professor who I did my master's thesis with, and friends and family all know I am looking. However all I get from most people is "the economy is bad right now, I know other jobless engineers......" and so on. I am using Linkedin for sure.

Yagonyonok, that's a good idea and I might do it eventhough the purpose of my Vegas trip is to escpae job hunting and thinking about jobs for a few days. But yes it would be nice to be able to get unemployment while I'm gone. Afterall it works out to $80/day that I'm not getting, that I have to factor in as trip costs. I believe Vegas does have quite a few materials engineering positons.

Get inline for the temporary/contract jobs.
You should be monitoring Roadtechs.com daily.
Indeed.com is another one to monitor.

This might help.

Go to Type in "materials engineer" and see what pops up.

The federal government has a great deal of trouble in filling positions due to bureaucratic stuff Congress has insisted on (you all may agree or disagree with these), ie veteran, spouse of a military member, advertising positions within an agency, then if no takers, within a department, then if no takers, within the federal government, etc. They go through several "lists" and waiting periods before they can make a selection. It takes months.

Once in the Federal Government, it is easier to get promoted IF you are willing to move.

By the way, materials engineer did show up,

Good luck!

I don't know what state you are in, but most states have got a lot of money for roadways. My state, Massachusetts is looking for materials people at the Massachusetts Highway Department. I would imagine other states are too.

Something for out from left field.

Most jobs are field by reference not by applying for them. They come from personal reference. Hence networking is the key.

If near you find a five star hotel. go there everyday and get to know the barman. Tipping is a good way for him to rememebr who you are. Then ask to be introduced to any executive who happens to be there on business. Get talking, sell yourself.

Go hire In Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith as the star.

Perhaps your future is not in the career path you have chosen. Your personal circumstances may prevent you working overseas but have they really? I have just finished working 2000km from home for 10 months. Achoice I made but yes it did i=mpact on my family and my health. I now have a deep vein thrombosis to deal with.

It is all about choices. Stop whimping around feeling sorry for yourself.

Well I'm back from that Vegas trip. Never managed to send out resumes there but it sure was great getting the time off from job hunting.

Purdue, right now I'm averaging 5-6 resumes a day. Unfortunetly now my focus is on any job as I have almost given up finding work in my field. I may just do anything I can get and then go back to school next fall and do a pharmacy technician program or something. Today I get a phone call thinking I may have an interview for a good job, only to find that it's for a brand new local grocery shop opening. It pays peanuts, even less than what unemployment pays me, so I will likely turn it down if offered it, or do it for only enough hours without it impacting my unemployment income. So sad that it's coming to me even considering jobs way below me.

I worked as a cashier for a while after I moved out to the States, I didn't have the option of unemployment benefit to fall back onto.

"considering jobs way below me"

Comes across as a bit arrogant. In the current climate maybe it's not below you anymore, at least at present.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

While I sympathize with your plight, I would point out that around 35 yrs ago, there were PhDs driving cabs because of the aerospace recession then. Of course, there were fewer competitors for the cabbie positions, back then...

You might want to evaluate whether your lack of success is because the companies aren't hiring, or whether they're just not into you. If the latter, then a revamping may be in order.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

During a recent stint between engineering/design jobs, I worked filing at an insurance company. I also cleaned up at a recycling company (that one put me in the hospital for 4 days- cuts got infected), and did inventory at stores. When it comes time to put food on the table and unemployment is gone, no job is beneath you. If you are single and still collecting unemployment, you may have some freedom to choose. Remember the job you turn down today, may not be there when the unemployment runs out.

Peter Stockhausen
Senior Design Analyst (Checker)
Infotech Aerospace Services

While saying a job is beneath you may come across as arogant, I think we all understand it. I don't feel any job is beneath me, but working at a manual labor job with an engineering degree is really a last option. If I need to do it to keep food on the table I'm there. The job is not beneath me because I'm too good for it, it's beneath me because I have been trained to do something more complex. It reminds me of a quote though I can't remember from whom.

"The society that values a bad philosopher above a good plumber is doomed to failure. Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."

Since my High School days I have at times had to take a job when I was qualified for a better job that just was not available. I took the job and enjoyed it for what it was. It provided a benefit to society for which I was compensated. It may happen again, but I hope not. Good luck with the job search.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

When applying for something you really want, apply more than once. I got a job after the boss recognized my repeat resume.
I recommend bio-med-eng because it is health oriented and universal. Everybody sooner or later needs health care. DO's frequently speak using engineering terms. This is a higher calling than airplanes and weapons. Many years ago a friend was concerned about going into aero-space/weapons, and I suggested bio-med-eng, and he went to that field and never looked back.

I hear what you guys are saying but I'm single and if I were to accept such a grocery position job, it would only be to ensure that I have some money coming in when my benefits expire around Christmas time (talk about perfect timing huh?), but while my benefits are still around, there is no reason for me to go full time with that job. I went to the interview today and the girl there liked me and looks like I may get it but the good thing is that the new store doesn't open till November and so I still have time to find something better, something in my field at least. Then I get home and UPS calls me for a part time position which pays better than the grocery store position. I will return the call soon and check it out though.

Bottom line is I wish these calls coming in were for for full time engineering positions. The repeat sending of your resume thing sounds like a really good idea. I have done it with some companies but that was earlier on when the economy was a little worse than it is now.

Well MaterialsDude,

I spent almost 7 months on the hunt (I'm sort of Albertan too) and funny enough I ended up with a full time job... in Mexico with a Mexican company. I had to leave family behind and visit them a few days a month only. (Can't say I am all too comfortable designing to the specs I am used to just to have it all scratched because they consider it to be too much money)

My resume is still out there in hopes something comes along in the Great White North. But so far nothing.

So look outside, gas is going to take a while to pick up, from what I hear. Mexico is a freaking oil boom! Albeit cheap engineering is expected.

<<A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend
will be sitting beside you saying ” Damn that was fun!” - Unknown>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back