Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cantilever Lifting Device 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

logann

Mechanical
Apr 3, 2024
US
Does anyone have any good reference material for design of a cantilever lifting system used by a crane? Wanting to start digging into this for our company. Eventually would want to add some ease-of-use features for in field adjustment, but I'm just curious about more basics of it right now

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CANTILEVER_BAR_CONCEPTUAL_DWG_p86y5u.png

Something like the attached. Basically a heavy I-beam structure with counter weight on one end and the suspended load on the other end. Ultimately the goal would be to be able to live adjust the location of the counter weight for quicker multi lift scenarios. But this is the general idea

It looks very difficult to unload the counterbalanced load weight without setting the counterweight on a surface. How big of loads are you referring to? How much cantilever?

I cannot recall ever seeing such a device. Tower cranes operate a bit like this but require a very skilled operator to handle the changing forces to keep the beam balanced. This looks like a great way to do a lot of damage.

you're lifting double the weight?

Can't see any upside to this at the moment

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

This is actually a very common piece of equipment in our industry. It allows users to reach up under structures with roof height restrictions to still perform the lift to extract the load.

Got any pictures or links?

That's not a cantilever though. It's a balanced beam.

Cantilever implies a moment at the end of the Cantilever. Your sketch only has bending.

Take note of the typically wide spread of the lifting cable attachments to the beam, particularly that one line goes to the counterweight, much different than the sketch.

Examine existing devices for how they function and find a qualified Structural PE to do the calculations.

logann said:
Wanting to start digging into this for our company.

Here's my unsolicited business evaluation:
High liability.
Limited market.
Little opportunity for a "standard product".
Multiple existing suppliers.
No thanks.

I'm wondering 🤔 if an alternative is to locate the counterweight on the floor and run a winch to the end of the beam using the level of the beam as a control input???

So long as the winch is faster than the crane speed it would save all this counterweight movement.

But yes there seems to be plenty of competition for a relatively small market? Unless you know better??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back