Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Carbon steel fittings material spec question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeg8

Industrial
Nov 15, 2005
GB
I'm producing a piping spec (for the 1st time, as I expect will become apparent!) and have a question about fittings. I have specified ASTM A234-WPB for the fittings. Is this a material spec or a forming spec? I ask because I have seen mention that A234-WPB 'uses' ASTM A333 steel. Does that mean that A333 is the material spec for A234-WPB spec fittings? I'm confused, as A333 is listed as a 'low temperature' steel and I have been advised to choose A106 Gr B for my pipe. I'm afraid I don't currently have any of these standards to hand (and might not understand them if I did!)

Very confused!

Mike

90% of a project takes 90% of the time...the last 10% of a project takes the other 90% of the time!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe A234-WPB is a fittings specification.
I know that A333 is a piping specification.

For example:
Pipe - CS A333 Gr. 6
Weld Fittings - CS A420 Gr. WPL6
Flange - CS A350 Gr. LF2
Valves - CS A352 Gr. LCC

Each thing has its own pertaining spec.

If you are writing a piping spec, maybe you should get a copy of the ASME standards, or borrow one.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I also know that A333 is a piping spec, but I have seen ASTM A333 Grade 6 steel referenced as the material of construction for A234-WPB fittings, and by more than 1 manufacturer as well. Are they wrong/confused, or am I? Have just checked and according to ASME II, SA234-WPB is a material spec. There is no mention of A333, which kind of makes sense.

Thanks Ashereng

Mike

90% of a project takes 90% of the time...the last 10% of a project takes the other 90% of the time!

Any material that conforms to Table 1 in A234 can be used. I seem to remember in the older editions they used to list acceptable materials and A106-B (for WPB) was one of them.

Mike,

That I don't know. I usually just follow the specs - I don't have the in-depth knowledge to know how the specs are met.

I will have to defer to my betters.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein

Read A234 carefully. You need to select a "starting material" from Table 1. This implies to me that A234 is not a material spec as such.

damn button

basically for working with these CS compatibles

Forging (flanges)
A105 0.35% C max., 0.90% Mn max. 70,000 36,000

Tubes (pipe)
A106 A/B 0.25% C max., 0.27-0.93% Mn 0.25% C max., 0.27-0.93% Mn 48,000 60,000 30,000 35,000

This one's an alloy note the chrome & copper
Tube (pipe)
A333 4 0.12% C max., 0.75% [COLOR=white red]Cr[/color], 0.50% [COLOR=white red]Cu[/color] 60,000 30,000

Going the Big Inch!

Thank you BI.

Albert Einstein

I think 234 also works with A333, but not sure.

Not at -50 degF. I think 234 is limited to -20 degF. As Ashereng listed above, A420 Gr. WPL6 is good match for A333 Gr. 6. Both 420 Gr. WPL6 and 333 Gr. 6 are good for -50 degF.

Mikeg8,

This may seem like a very simplistic answer, but it is something I've done on more than one occasion.

I'm a piping designer, not a spec writer, but some times I've been called upon to put together spec's for various projects.

I always find the best policy is "don't reinvent the wheel"!
Grab as many specs from previous projects, or from other collegues, see which of these specs is nearest to the application you desire, and go from there.

Specs have already been writen for almost every piping application, it's just a matter of finding one that best suits your requirements.

This is just aa starting point obviously, as the usual checking procedures and debates will have to be followed thereafter.

I hope this helps.

pipingdesigner
pipingdesigners%20logo.gif

If your application is a low temperature application,
then you will need to use Alloy Carbon Steel pipe according to ASTM A333 specs. and fittings according to ASTM A420
There are different grades for both standards, the most common is Grade 6 so the standard becomes ASTM A333 Gr.6 for pipe & ASTM A420WPL6 for fittings
If it is standard steel (not low temperature application) then the pipe will be ASTM A106 Gr B (or API5L Gr B) & the fittings will be ASTM A234WPB

Everyone...

Thank you all very much. The application is not low temp so I shall be going with A106 (pipe) and A234 (fittings). Once again Eng-Tips not only gets me out of a hole but puts my mind at rest too!

Thanks again.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back