Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career advice - Advancing in Materials and Corrosion Engineering Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

emxhps06

Materials
Sep 16, 2008
GB
Hi guys,

Need some advice.

How much is enough of a knowledge to progress further in the materials and corrosion engineering field.

I am still baffled by 'Engineering'. Just wondering what are the skills of engineering? Do we emphasize the high-level input and/or the nitty-gritty details i.e. research details.

Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is never enough I guess. It is almost impossible for a person to know everything even though one thing I like about metallurgy is that all the theory were developped a long rme ago. It is not like IT changing every day. Corrosion is tricky that still a lot of things are far from crystal clear.

Another point I want to share is that experience is more important than knowledge directly from textbooks. This is true almost for everything but especially true for metallurgy. Eng-tips is very useful on this aspect as many experts are sharing their experience. Knowing industry codes also comes from experience and it is a big part of your experience.

Many thanks for your input.

Knowing industry codes is definitely a bonus.

I find it difficult when and where to draw the line in regards to engineering, and how to apply textbook knowledge into high-level practical experience. I am not design engineer but I am interested about this aspect of design.

I could do some do's and dont's tips/guidance.

I tend to read manuals for everything and anything (work related). My colleagues thought I was nuts.

Continuous upgrading of your knowledge base is essential. When I started work selecting materials for refineries, I was able to join a group of local refinery inspectors, who provided great insight as to areas where unanticipated localized corrosion, or stress corrosion cracking occured, etc. I also had great mentors in the field to learn from. Discussions were free and open.

Today there is much more information available in print - electronically from which decisions can be made; however, much first hand info is still unavailable. Cultivate relationships with customer representatives, consultants, Engineering Society members, etc. with whom you work in your business.

Thank you for your insight.

I am often in the lab conducting test and a solo role plus rarely get out from the office. I am trying to make the transition from lab to field work as I feel I will learn more from field work.

Great to hear you had good mentors to have open discussions.

I would also emphasize networking through an appropriate professional society such as ASM, TMS, or NACE, especially if they have a local active chapter. These networks are invaluable in gaining both knowledge and contacts.

It has been documented that career advancement happens more often by changing employers. This path also allows further advancement in knowledge as the new organization may expose you to new technical issues your old one would not be working in. Many people, even if they have gained appropriate knowledge, find their careers stagnating because of the nature of their organizational structures.

Aaron Tanzer

SJones:I am working on my chartership with IOM3 as we speak. How do I get to your level of work experience?

Mrfailure: I can see your point with regards to networking. My department is rather close-minded and tight i.e. they gave me the death stare when I requested for an upgrade for our dinosaur ASTM standards (1989)!.

I get the feeling that if you are from the lab, automatically you are labelled as ' inexperienced'. The trouble is some companies do pigeon-hole their staff.

I'll second mrfailure's recommendations with regard to changing employer and industry. I've worked in basic steel making, with EPC Contractors (US and International locations), Aerospace, Energy industries, Manufacturers and Construction contractors and have been rewarded by the experiences gained in all. A number of the moves were made specifically for new learning experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back