Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career as a machine Designer (3D CAD): good choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsimon

Mechanical
Jan 10, 2009
DE
Hello,
I am 25, mechanical engineering. I have started my first job few months ago as a machine designer in Europe. The company produces high tech machines for packaging and assembly.

My resposibilities are:
Designing (3D CAD with Autodesk software’s) of machine systems. Technical drawings etc.

Currently, I fell I can also start my career in some other engineering branches. I also have some other offers.

Unfortunately, I do not have very clear view and interest about a specific direction of my future career. I only want to have a successful, satisfied and secure engineer career. I also want to go far in my career. With my present job I would be “A machine designer with experienced of designing special machines” after some years.

This is true that talented person would be successful in any field. But prospects in a field could also play a part.

As the first job may define the direction of my whole career. I desire to collect some opinions of engineers in this forum related to some of my career questions. I will be very thankful.

Is a career of “machine designer” good choice in term of:

Future prosperity prospects
Prospectsts to have a great career
World wide demand
Future Security
Some other advantages, disadvantages, Limitations or risks?

Thanks and regards

Smar

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

machine designer with an engineering degree is a good start but I would not plan on spending more then a year or 2 doing it. The things that you will learn on the job will help you down the road. It is also a little of a dead end job in some places.

Chris

"In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics." Homer Simpson

Industry will always need people that can design/build machines to make and build other products so I wouldn't call it a "dead end" job" in the least.

I agree with the others, but I also think you may want to look into learning another CAD application. AutoCAD will be good to have on your resume, but a more complex app like SolidWorks, ProE, Inventor or CATIA (not in order) may be more useful in engineering (depending on your field).

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 3.1
AutoCAD 08
ctopher's home (updated Aug 5, 2008)
ctopher's blog
SolidWorks Legion

I've been doing it almost 10 years now. I've loved every minute of it. Do I plan on doing it forever? Who knows, at this point there probably isn't too much more room for advancement or pay increases already. That's why I'm working on a masters in mechanical engineering to open that ceiling again.

Do what you enjoy. You shouldn't care so much about long term prospects as there will always be a need for everything. It just may be cyclical in nature with high/low times. I don't care who you are these days it's not a "great" market.

I take on enough manufacturing improvements and engineering calculations to keep things interesting. I have a degree in industrial engineering so I really enjoy being in a manufacturing environment personally.

As far as real long term security goes...in 10 years there will probably be a huge demand for engineers and designers as the baby boomers start phasing out of the job force. If you can get 10 years experience in any field by then you'll be sitting pretty.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

It's probably as good a field as any in mechanical design at the moment. At least you'll get yourself familiar with lots of mechanisms, I presume.

As hinted at above, if you want to be more than just a draftsman/CAD Jockey/designer you may need try and apply some more hardcore engineering skills such as the analysis Jspisich mentions.

I also got the impression it wasn't the highest paying field, which I find interesting because some of those machines are really quit ingenious and many of them one offs.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

I would recommend finding a nich (spelling) which involves engineering skills. (simular to what others have said)

I dont know what goes into your machines, but if you can be the guru in an engineering skill like PLC's, Structures, materials, hydrolics, etc. you can have a good sell able skill, and all the general skills you may pick up form machine design.

currently being a guru may also help you keep your job... at lest in some areas.

Best of luck

Leave engineering while you still have a chance! Become an actuary - they are the people who decide how much we get sued for.

But seriously, you are not alone in not knowing your path. It will come to you I am sure. Meanwhile, any engineering experience is better than none.

I've been designing machines for 20 years. The job is what you make it. You can travel the world or hide in your office.

I make a fair salary. I could make much more in a big city, but where is the fun in that?

If you enjoy it, do it. If not, don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back