Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career Change - HVAC Consultant to Solidworks Designer

Status
Not open for further replies.

puttyME

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2011
US
Hello everyone (first time poster),

I live in Sacramento, graduated two years ago (BSME) and have been working at the same HVAC consulting firm ever since doing system design, load calcs, drafting. I enjoy the work, the problem is the industry has slowed down incredibly, and we've had to lay a few people off this year. The learning curve is looking pretty flat, not much work on the horizon. I feel that I'm on the chopping block too in a way.

I've been contemplating a career change for awhile. I have some Solidworks skills that i acquired in school and was thinking of brushing up on them. There appears to be lots of job postings online for Solidworks drafters/designers, although i know nothing of the industry. Would it be a mistake to change career paths? Should i stick it out and continue building experience in HVAC consulting and project management. Any input is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems a backwards step to me. Why not try to transition into some other type of mechanical engineering rather than to settle for a drafting job?

HA!, I was trying to go the other way recently. Now I draft for a Lyophilizer manufacturer.

This is sort of a fish or cut bait moment, you could devote a few months to getting sharp on SWX or preparing for the April PE (October deadline!). Depends on how much SWX you did in school. I took one ProE course, I don't think it really qualified me to be a Pro/E drafter. I would procure an academic copy or similar to go with whatever 3 inch thick SWX book you plunk down $60 for.

I've worked 2 jobs as an SWX jockey, now I ride AutoCAD as my pony. When I started, I nearly came to the lead designer and said 'excuse me, I think there's been a mistake- this drawing has been done in AutoCAD'. I'm glad I didn't, and I think working w/ ACAD has actually been better for my sense of design, go figure. The first couple months were 2 parts faking it and 8 parts sweat.

I picked up SWX over a summer when I saw my contract in medical compliance winding up. I ground through every example & problem in the Solidworks Essentials and Drawings that SWX vendors provide w/ their training (didn't get the training).

Learn your basics, be confident and jump in. Use common sense, and lots of it. Don't be that guy that other drafters bitch about when they jump into your stuff. I was regularly confounded by a designer that didn't know about configurations and deleted my work instead of changing the assembly to the configuration where it was turned off. Holy WTF, Batman!

Also, keep in mind the first rule of bear evasion. You don't have to run faster than the bear, you just have to run faster than your friend. Preparing for and sitting the the PE, or the FE if you haven't done that yet (April test, October deadline, hurry up!)will make it easier to keep the job you have and do it well, and also move you up a notch in your bosses' eyes.

I do have my EIT certification already... maybe someone can clear this up for me. I tried contacting the board of CA regarding the experience requirement for the PE but haven't gotten any responses. There seems to be some confusion amongst my peers. Is two years of experience plus an undergrad degree sufficient? Or is it 4 years of experience with an undergrad degree?

Getting back on track here... I really enjoy drawing in Solidworks and using FEA. Its actually quite fun IMHO. I would be willing to forgoe a pay cut. Is there a significant salary difference between an HVAC mechanical designer and Solidworks designer? Im at 55k right now straight out of school in Sacramento. I would imagine I will probably start out at a lower hourly rate.

It's not the pay cut, or the misery addition that unemployment would be. Paywise, I topped out in 07- contract FDA compliance, $17/hr, or $45k with overtime, $38k salary as a pipe jockey (piping the inside of HVAC fan coil units), commercial building collapse & layoff, $16/hr SWX jockey for medical contract Mfg, back up to $19/hr where I am now.

If you enjoy it, go for it, but keep your PE on the stove.

I'd print out the PE form and ask your boss to sign off, case of actions speaking louder than words.

Get your hands on SW and just do things. Do everything you can get your hands on.

As far as getting jobs go, stress what you already know: handling projects and deadlines and managing ECO documentation. Those skills are transferable.

Can i get away with purchasing the student version of Solidworks? I was thiinking of completing the tutorials, and challenging myself to draw things that are highly complex, with intricate assemblies. Maybe compiling a portfolio to show my skills to send to potential employers. I think that might be of some value when they see i have no industry experience with the software.

I don't think the rendering capabilities of the student version quite match what full version does.

How much does the full version of the software cost? Does anyone know where i might be able to get an older version for reduced cost? XP Pro compatible?

Generally a degree from a 4-year ABET accredited program, FE test pass and four years working under other PEs. Don't forget, you will need at least 4 PE references and this can sometimes be hard to get if in a small firm. Work this out now.

Doing Solidworks would probably not be considered "Engineering". Call the Board - bug them - they will answer your question.

"Can i get away with purchasing the student version of Solidworks?"
Yes, if you are registered at a recognised educational facility.

" I don't think the rendering capabilities of the student version quite match what full version does."
The student version is the full Premium version of the commercial software, however "Although SolidWorks Student Edition is functionally identical to the SolidWorks software used by professionals in the workplace, certain features make it unsuitable for commercial use."

"How much does the full version of the software cost?"
Last time I checked I think the prices were;
Standard was $5000
Professional was $6500
Premium was $8000

"Does anyone know where i might be able to get an older version for reduced cost?"
Cannot legally be done without a lot of hassle. Buying old versions will put you into Pirate seas.

Well, Im not in school anymore so I don't qualify for the student version. And i cant afford to pay for full... Is there a limited version thats geared towards the "broke-ass engineer looking to change careers" demographic? Solidworks Ver.37 , "broke-ass engineer"

May be a backwardish step, but now's the time. (Sorry didn't read much after 1 or two responses.)

I am a BSME who works for a company that manufacturers industrial type equipment. I spend probably 65% of my time designing with Pro-E. My title is Design Engineer, and I get paid an engineer's salary. There are similar types of jobs that use Solidworks instead of Pro-E. I also frequently run FEA on the Pro-E models I create. Don't look for a job as a designer. Look for an engineering job that uses Solidworks.

Thank you for all your responses. I'm really torn on this one... Im going to a job interview in about an hour for another consulting type position. It a big firm with offices all across the globe, if i dont get this job then i think Im going to brush up on Solidworks skills and look for an engineering position in manufacturing/product design.

From my experience in Sacramento, it seems the consultant jobs are few and far between these days, and i don't want to wait for things to change... must... act... now.

Taking a job as a 'designer' would probably be a step backwards, unless...

It somehow gets your foot in the door at a company or in an industry sector that offers room for future advancement.

I started out at my current employer as essentially a designer, but quickly got involved in doing engineering work. My official designation is CAD Engineer which is a bit silly (Did they used to have drawing board Engineers?) but in practice I do all sorts from drafting, to analysis to project management... Oh, and my salary is much higher than any mentioned above, though being in Santa Barbara it needs to be.

Also, while SW is a market leader, if you're going to go this way don't get hung up on a particular software if you can help it. Instead aim to become a really good drafter/designer/modeller with you expertise on specific software as a prominent but secondary skill.

You almost certainly didn't learn enough at school to be of much use without a lot of extra work. Drafting standards etc. for 'mechanical design' are different from in the 'civil' type field.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I was thinking of starting somewhere as low man on the totem-pole. I figure we all have to start somewhere. Nobody is gonna pay me 50k if i dont know my ass from a hole in the ground. I was planning on being a 'drafter' or 'entry-level designer' for the time being to get better with Solidworks, to get some industry experience, to learn about standards, geometric tolerancing, etc. Meanwhile practicing on my own time and and re-hashing these things i learned in school to gain some marketable skills. I'd be willing to take a pay cut for the sake of picking up some new skills. Am I short-changing myself?

HVAC consulting is dead for the time being. There is no work on the horizon. The jobs are few and far between. I want out. I am not being challenged. I feel like a sitting duck at this point. Meanwhile there are abundant Solidworks drafting/design positions that could potentially be a 'gateway' into product design/engineering. You're right i think it will probably be a step backwards, or at least a step in a different direction.

I would look into getting that PE and finding a job with another consulting firm.

Your skills are transferable, my company specializes in Heavy Industry, piping and civil/structural, but we still end up with quite a few ducting jobs for ovens, furnaces, etc and the random electrical rooms that need cooling.

I agree that taking a job as a solidwerks designer is a step backwards.

Oh and we just had an engineer take the PE in California after just being out of college for 2 years.

PS don't tell the board you do drafting or they will not accept your experience. Be sure to tell them about all the Engineering work, calculations, planning, specifying, reviewing drawings etc.

Did this person who took the PE in California have a masters or was this with Bachelors?

I interviewed with another consulting firm yesterday. The interview went great. The work consists of cogeneration design, wastewater treatment facility rennovation, and also Bio-gas harvesting. And as you said KDL2002 the skills are very much transferable. If they offer me a job, I'll probably take it. If not... then im looking into a career change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back