Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career Change - HVAC Consultant to Solidworks Designer

Status
Not open for further replies.

puttyME

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2011
US
Hello everyone (first time poster),

I live in Sacramento, graduated two years ago (BSME) and have been working at the same HVAC consulting firm ever since doing system design, load calcs, drafting. I enjoy the work, the problem is the industry has slowed down incredibly, and we've had to lay a few people off this year. The learning curve is looking pretty flat, not much work on the horizon. I feel that I'm on the chopping block too in a way.

I've been contemplating a career change for awhile. I have some Solidworks skills that i acquired in school and was thinking of brushing up on them. There appears to be lots of job postings online for Solidworks drafters/designers, although i know nothing of the industry. Would it be a mistake to change career paths? Should i stick it out and continue building experience in HVAC consulting and project management. Any input is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just a Bachelors (ABET school), he is only like 25, had barely 2 of work experience years and took it and passed.

He is the only one in our office that has tried this.

I have been designer for thirty years..I make more than any quoted above and I am in the south. There are plenty of designers with engineering degrees doing very challenging interesting work. I did contract now I am direct with a great hourly wage, great benefits and a very nice working enviroment. Eng have to work 45 hour standard. I get time and a half over 8 a day plys double time plus holiday if I work a holiday..which we have twelve. I am working on a second degree courtesy of the company.
There is plenty of engineering to do as a designer. Do what you enjoy and in my experience there is plenty of upward mobility within no matter what lowly position you start in. I have found being a team player, pleasant and detail oriented has gotten me plum projects over arrogant pe's. Good luck to you!!

Well... I managed to land the job at the other consulting firm. I am really stoked, i was starting to go into panic mode about being laid off. I feel like my head is on the guillotine (sp?) here at my current job. This will be a nice change of pace and i look forward to it.

I guess i will not be making the transition to a 'Solidworks designer' at this juncture. I may still practice with the software from time to time because you

Kim, I have worked a couple places where designers seemed to be in the sweet spot:
More inventing, less paperwork, hourly + OT, bullseye resting on the engineer's back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back