Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Career switching? Different field same major.

Status
Not open for further replies.

titan11

Electrical
Aug 14, 2008
US
Has anyone ever changed fields within their major? Like going from HVAC to like aerospace design? or going from working with motors/engines to like embedded systems programming?

I have been out of school for 2 years working in industrial electrical engineering.. automation/controls/power but I would like to switch to something else. I basically forgot everything in the other fields, but if I were to apply to an entry level in like rF or digital design.. what would be your recommendations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have switched fields within my major, Telecommunications to Power. What helped me was being sincere in my reason for the transition, in my case I desired an opportunity where I would learn more and be more stable, at that time I wasn't learn much at my job and traveled alot. I got an entry-level job as I didn't know anything of significane in power, I am still learning but I am getting better each day.
I was able to find something that was related, in my case I had some limited In-Building design experience, I mentioned that during the interview. Do you have a specific area in mind? Digital Design will be hard to get into from my experience without a graduate degree

Within mech eng I switched from turbine engine design to plant engineering without losing momentum. The switch to gearmotor design took some adjustments. Prep for the PE prepared me to enter new areas. Go for it.

I'm actually not sure at the moment how I would find out about new fields in my major that I could be interested in. One thought would be going back to graduate school, but I'm sure that's not the brightest idea spending all that money without any sense of direction.

Are there any other sources of exploring other fields?

This forum is good as you have many electrical engineering professionals in the various branch of EE.
What are you doing at your current post.
In the RF world, you will get a good combination of an office and field work setting, I worked as a contractor with one of popular carriers, albeit my contribution was elementary. I assisted the system performance team, they added new cards at the tower and I did some drive test, analyzed the data and made recommendations. Any reason you want to branch out?

I am currently involved in a little bit of both automation controls and power engineering. I feel as if there isn't much electrical engineering involved whereas it feels more implementation of sorts.

On the automation side, I've been doing a whole lot of price searching, part specing, setting up automation systems(mostly computer setup), setting up data recorders. Yeah, I understand the rough times of entry-level work. However, working with the senior engineers and even mid-level engineers and seeing the type of work they do, I'm just not interested in it. I don't see myself in 5-15 years down the line enjoying that line of work.

On the power side, just been getting minimal exposure (1 or 2 projects in my lifetime) to electrical studies, ie short-circuit, coordination, arc flash. I personally feel like its more code standards, "repair/improvement" type work.

I would like to get more into design work. Or something that uses more of the electrical engineering concepts.

I have never explored outside of these fields during my time in school or post-grad. I want to see what else is out there. Maybe I'll end up coming back to this stuff, but I won't know until I see what else there is.

titan11,

a great question you ask and as someone who has 20+ years engineering experience in the automotive field, I read the other comments and have to say they were lucky. I don't mean that in a malicious way but it can be very tricky. for years I wanted to get into the HVAC/R field. I took PDH courses through ASHRAE and this one way to understand much more in that field as well as learn the HVAC language and perform the necessary calculations. Worth the money.

My uncle was also a prominent consultant in that field but had retired years ago. You would think he would help out as I sat down with him and asked 1) what I could for the transition and 2) if he could speak with anyone. he didn't want to! (I found out why later and it had nothing to do with me). I did visit one of his former employees who started a new firm as I went out on my own and solicited him for a talk. He was nice enough to interview me but it was obvious I was not going to get a job with him even though he could not find anyone in that field as universities do not emphasize HVAC coursework relative to the real world demand; very few engineers entered into that field after graduation. He also wanted someone who knew his way around a construction site and he also had no time to train anyone (even though plenty of people had time to train him when he started out as I found out...lol).

this was a whole year process of self-education and writing people and networking to enter into that field but it never happened. nobody was interested as what they saw on my resume was 'car engineer' no matter how I tried to change it but still keep it legitimate.

so the first tip I would recommend to you is not to overstate your prior work experience in that particular field if you are transitioning to another branch of engineering that is quite a bit different. emphasize coursework you have taken to get an entry level position in that new field. as an example, the SAE, ASHRAE, ASME or AIAA all offer courses or seminars as well as local community colleges and universities and I would urge you to look into those societies or institutions.

the second tip and it seems all employers I have run across want or demand this over even having an engineering degree (which is taken for granted or assumed) is CAD training and even better, CAD experience. In the HVAC/R field, what CAD software is used? Autocad, Microstation etc. That was the one mistake I did not pursue. I have since made up for it but in another field and another software entirely.

a third tip and one of equal if not the greatest importance is to network. find people in that field. used Linkedin or Zoominfo or even find local consulting firms or shops and research them. who you know is still the greatest way to find a job regardless of my experience with my old school uncle.

I chose HVAC/R as my personal example and I do realize you are looking at something different but I hope the above info can be used as a guide or template.

hope some of this advice helps.

titan11,

Have you considered switching industries? Your skills would be a good fit for some of the utilities who are facing global recruitment problems due to an aging workforce and under-recruitment over the past couple of decades. It's a very different working environment to manufacturing, and relatively secure. At present, in the UK at least, recruitment has slowed a little because of 'the recession' but the recession hasn't slowed Old Father Time who is continuing to deplete the workforce at an unrelenting pace and the positions are there to be filled.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

saffp7,

thanks for the advice. That was the route I was planning on going for.. not to overstate my current job experience which has nothing to do with the new job(s) I am looking for.

I am trying to focus on my communication, problem solving, troubleshooting skills a bit more to at least cater to some of the needs of a typical entry level engineer. Even though I don't have any experience in those other fields I am hoping that at the very least could get my resume past HR. I did state a project or two done in college but I'm not sure how much that will fly.

thanks for advice... keep them coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back