Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CASE statements of IF / THEN within CATIA parameters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albigger

Aerospace
Dec 29, 2004
US
Hello

I am trying to build a part with multiple configurations. This part will for example, have a size parameter. The user can change this parameter (from a list of available drop-downs).

I then want other dimensions to update according to this parameter, but not a formula. Is there a way to do that?

I know, for instance, I can put something like =parameter*2 but instead I want a series of IF statements, and results.

As a separate question, the driving parameter is a drop-down of length values. Do I have to have the values displayed, or can I name them like "config A" "config B" etc...?

Thanks.
--Jay

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The fog laws I would be refering to would be to control the configuration rows within the design table.

I understand that he does not have the KWA license but one should never shy away from trying to find a work-around.

???

FoG laws within the design table? Shy away from a workaround?

I was suggesting a workaround by doing all the calculations inside the Excel spreadsheet. I don't understand how one would create the FoG laws without KWA. Please clarify.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

I must clarify first, I did not mean to actualy insert a fog law within the design table but to only help control the design table within a part.

If you create a fog law like so:

If FormalLenght == 1in
{FormalInterger = 1}

The FormalInteger would refer to a paramter that will control your configuration Row.

I know that Fog Laws are very limited when you are not running KWA, but they can come in handy.

Solid7 I run HD2 license and I can write this rule.

I did not want to start a heated discussion about this.
I just wanted to give Albigger some insight on some different ways to get to get the result he was asking for.

I believe that is what we have (HD2) and I can write the simple FoG law as Kapmc stated above, though I still haven't gotten quite to where I want to be (but I think I understand more thanks to all the input).

Please don't let me stop any discussion.

I think I should look over catalog techniques for now. Is there documentation available for this?

I have HD2 license, also. Where can you write the FoG rule? I don't have the icon available, although I did on a KWA license...

I also did not want a debate. My point was to try to clarify the FoG issue. I'm open to the possibility that I'm wrong - I'm just trying to figure out what you're saying.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

Albigger:

The help menu is informative in this area. Is their a specfic area that you are curious about, or is it Catalogs in general?

Right now just curious about catalogs in general. I haven't used them or even seen them used, so I'll try to work my way thru the documentation (when I get some time) but I'm sure I'll be back if I have specific questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back