Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

catia v5 drawing-dowel hole? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntwe

Automotive
Feb 15, 2008
US
Is there a way to indicate a dowel hole in the drawings? In solidworks there is a button for dowels but I have not found anything in catia.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure, but could you add a custom hole to the "hole" creator that has all the callouts for the dowel you need? I haven't tried it, but that would be my guess. I think you just have to edit an excel file or text file.

Bob

I was more interested in the symbol for a dowel that could be inserted in the center of the hole in a drawing. The symbol divides the hole in 4 quadrants and blacks out two adjacant quadrants. see attached file

I would LOVE to find an easy way to do this. In the past, we have drawn a vertical and a horizontal line thru the center of the hole, then applied a cross-hatch pattern to the appropriate quadrants. Very labor intensive.

Hi,

You can use a catalog for this..weavedreamer suggestion is correct.

In a new drawing, insert a detail sheet and draw what ever you want there. You can use so many detail sheets you want and draw how many symbols you want on them.

In this way you will have chapters in your new 2D catalog. Save that drawing as catalog. Place the drawing and catalog in a specific location where you can have access.

Open the catalog with the catalog browser icon and double click on what detail (2D component) you want and click in the drawing sheet to create the instance.

If you want to brake the link with your catalog just right click on 2dcomponent and select expose 2dcomponent (hope I remember correctly) This will create in your drawing file a new detail sheet.

Regards
Fernando

Ferdo,
I set up the catalog and it works great. This is my first time using the catalog so i'm not real familiar with it. I can bring in the dowel but how do I position it so it is tied to the center of the hole? I notice that you can change the size of the dowel symbol by draging the boxes around the symbol at the corners. Can I tie the size of the dowel to the geometry of the hole in my part? This way one dowel symbol could be used for all size holes? Also if the dowel hole changes sizes the symbol would update as well. Can this be done?

When you put the geometry in the View on the Detail Sheet, locate it on the View axis.
When you instantiate it, the center of interest should be the view axis, also you can set the scale at instantiation time, so if you draw it say at a Ø1, you can scale it by typing in the diameter you desire - compensating of course for the view scale to which you are adding the Detail.

weavedreamer,
That works, but if the part/drawing changes you must go back and manually change things. I was looking for a way to make the drawing update automatically. I used solidworks for 10 years prior to catia and like the way everything updated automatically. The less manual changes I have to make means less things I have to remember to do. With my bad case of C.R.S. (can't remember sh*t) this is very helpful [glasses].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back