Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catia V5 R18 appears to be a lemon 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

solid7

Mechanical
Jun 7, 2005
US

V5 R18 SP02 HF9

I have listed no less than 7 issues, in less than a week of using R18, which I will submit as APAR. Is anyone else having issues?

The major things are:

1) Text editor - a hard return exits the editor. (where it did not previously) Workaround - create text in a plain text document, and paste it into the Catia text editor. (PITA)

2) I am not able to assign a hot key for either the "Redo" function, nor the "Change Geometrical Set" function. (where I was previously able)

3) Strange workspace anomalies. Some drawings, when maximized, only display as a sliver on the screen. (about 3" wide, from top to bottom) This happens until reboot, and then begins again after I save and reopen. (until next reboot - on and on it goes...)

We have a list of half dozen annoyances, but I don't really feel like taking the space to list them all. Anyone having problems with R18? Methinks it a turd...

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) This is an "Enhancement." The enter key now hits OK. Use <ctrl> enter to get a line feed in the text editor.

2) Not sure. Haven't tried it

3) We have not experienced this

We have had R18Sp3 in production on about 200 windows workstations for around a month so far. The only significant problem that we have found involves the parameters on the tree with a Saved Measure - the length parameter is WAY off.

1. Also noticed this and also think it is an "enhancement" but I am so used to doing it the other way. I think also "shift + enter" will give you another line without exiting the editor.

2. not sure

3. not sure

I have noticed other anomalies, tried SP0 and SP2 for about a week, no difference.

Two of the main annoyances we have are:

- Some lines do NOT print out when you print/plot a drawing file. At first I thought this was file-specific, due to ugly surfaces. But this was verified with different files on different workstations, and on different printers. And oh, the same files look OK and print OK in R17.

-- When you measure in the model space, it seems the lines disappear (if I remember correctly). Either the lines or the whole measure box itself was disappearing.

I have since installed SP04 but have not had a chance (nor am I very motivated to) continue testing it.

Albigger said:
1. Also noticed this and also think it is an "enhancement" but I am so used to doing it the other way.

Funny you should mention that. I was having the same discussion with someone this morning when Jim first mentioned it. Yes, it's obviously the natural way to do it, but having been doing it "wrong" for so long, it's difficult to accept as correct. Never mind the fact that I complained for years about creating hard returns when I really just wanted to exit the text editor.

Careful what you wish for, I guess.

Albigger said:
- Some lines do NOT print out when you print/plot a drawing file. At first I thought this was file-specific, due to ugly surfaces. But this was verified with different files on different workstations, and on different printers. And oh, the same files look OK and print OK in R17.

Yes, we found this, also. For us, it primarily affects Isometric views.

Thanks for the input. Keep 'em coming, if you got 'em...

I am noticing that my measurements are not updating in R18, as well. And, since I mentioned measurements, the boxes are no longer filled in by the color selected in the options. There is a colored frame around the measurement. Since it's not filled, it's hard to read with just about any color of measure text. Not a show stopper, but I wonder if it's tied to the measures not updating?

Yes, I do have my options configured to update measures...

Anyone else?

R18 SP02 HF09

Hi !
Why to use SP2 anyway? The old thruth with major cad systems is that wait some SP5 or SP6 before making any serious plans for production usage. Well - at least I'm happy that you guys are testing and reporting to DS. Then I can enjoy more stabil product a bit later ;-)

Why to use SP2 anyway?

This isn't Windows XP or Vista. It's built off of existing framework, that works very well.

Besides, who am I to tell my customer what to use? Or the company whom they work for? (who is one of the largest in the world, and certainly the largest Catia user)

There are other requirements driving CAD useage than just the CAD portion. (as in this case, it was an Enovia upgrade that is driving use of R18)

Any more questions? [wink]

New Bug at SP3 - the Length Parameter in a Saved Measure does not update. This is the parameter that appears in the tree associated with the saved measure. Look at APAR HD73430.

That was already a bug in SP02. Check out my post, 3 up. I can't get measurements to update in any workbench. It's odd, though, because even though the measurements don't update, formulas created from the "associated" measurements do...

Wow, what a turd this one is.

Generally, it's better to tie your formulas to something more stable and reliable than a saved measure anyway. Either set a parameter and set both items to that parameter, or use the measure tools directly in the formula editor - that way you don't have that annoying measure in your tree or in your 3-d space.

Jim - while what you say is true, the fact remains that associative measurements do not update in any workbench, which is the bigger problem.

The formula created from the measurement was a test, taken from a contextually designed assembly, where the measurement could not be directly derived from a length parameter. (and where it was not sensible to base a parameter between the measured elements) Nothing more than OJ beta testing.

Thanks for backing me up on that one.

Hi
Maybe it has nothing to do with it,but in Tools-Option,
under General - Parameters and Measure, there is the Measure Tool tab and maybe the automatic updates in a part and product are not checked. If yes, then I really don't understand what is going on.
Myriam

I am also now finding some problems with updating constraints. It used to be very easy to double click a constraint, and select the "reconnect" button, to choose a new source for the constraint. However, R18 seems to be making this almost impossible. Sometimes there is an error message, and other times, there is an update cycle, which after being clicked through, reverses the change, and goes back to the previous value. (where most errors will remain, and cause an update cycle until corrected)

I have spent all morning fixing broken constraints that normally take just a few minutes.

Anybody else with similar problems?

Additionally, contextual links are losing their icon symbol - instead displaying as contextual links used in "other context". Nevertheless, they update fine, and revert to their proper locations.

Occasionally, some of the contextual parts used in other instances, (i.e. - re-used details) get confused with the contextual instance, and it wreaks havoc on the tree. I believe in using minimal constraints, always based on wireframe, (never features) and I've not ever had a tree so miserable broken.

We just updated from R17 to R18 SP4.

1 Text editor - yes, Enter works as OK button - for extra line <Ctrl> + Enter
2. Hot key for Redo - yes it does not work - I used Alt+z for Repeat for years ,and this seems to work
3. Measure tool - Tools/option/Param.and Measure/Measure tools - verify colour and UNCHECK 'Box display' to preserve colour filled box around measure.
On measure window 'Keep measure' will preserve dimension on exit.
4. Update constraints - Reconnect seems to work fine.

All these on SP4 again

edanmech said:
3. Measure tool - Tools/option/Param.and Measure/Measure tools - verify colour and UNCHECK 'Box display' to preserve colour filled box around measure.
On measure window 'Keep measure' will preserve dimension on exit.

Measurements will not update for us. 'Keep Measure' does fine to keep the measure in place. However, despite having the option selected to automatically update measurements, this does not work. (at all)

Haven anyone here seen a weird behavior about color of parts in old assemblies. In R18 SP4, when loading old assemblies (made in R17), some parts are displayed in black.
By default, we have the parts with "no" color assigned here (the default grey). We couldn't quite find a reason for it, it just happens on some parts (I have seen it only on sheetmetal parts). And if we create a new assembly with the same parts, or if we load them individually, there's no problem. Also, playing the "opacity" sometimes fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back