Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CATIA V5 Sketch - automatic constrains

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzganec

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2006
AU
hi all,
i would like to know if it is possible in v5 sketcher to snap to the existing part geometry (edges, vertecies) with the coincident constraint so it does not need to be applied later.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What I meant was when I create new sketch on the part's face, is it possible to use the part's edges that lay on the sketch plane to apply the constraints (coincident and other) without extracting the edges as reference geometry.

Of course you can use solid edges, surfaces, points, ....
All the 3D geometry can be used to apply constraints in a sketch without projecting them, simply select them.

Markoz - you can't snap to the geometry unless it is projected. As kaesar stated, you can constrain to surface and solid geometry after.

Regards,
Derek

That is one of the shortcomings of V5 - you need to create the sketch "wrong" and then constrain it to be "right". It would have been nice if they would have included some kind of dynamic constraints that would have allowed you to create these as you created the geometry.

you have the ability to model while using the automatic constraints - parallel, coincidant, collinear and more.. just make sur the correct button is pressed when you do the profile (don't remember the button name).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back