Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CBR % from Clegg Readings

Status
Not open for further replies.

JintyMc

Civil/Environmental
Oct 16, 2014
GB
I have a set of clegg impact values (CIV) which i have obtained and recorded and I need to convert them to %CBR Values.
I have used the following formula on each CIV that i have recorded and have the results from them.

% CBR = 0.07(IVxIV)

An example of a result I am getting are as follows:- 0.07(59 x 59) = 243.67

Does this mean that the CBR % is 243.67%? or am I wrong?

I have some Design Specifications that require CBR Value of 30% but all my results are throwing out HIGH readings after the equation so its throwing me alittle.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would be interesting to know the types of soil/road base (etc) you are dealing with. I've never used the CIH but there are different weights . . . Are you sure your Clegg Impact number is 59 and, perhaps, not 5.9?? Clegg's chart doesn't go that high from what I can see. Also, as with many correlations, one should try to get a correlation for their particular site (i.e., site specific) or area.

Just wondering if you ever did a google search?
(see page 3)

Basically i have undertaken clegg readings at 20m intervals along an old existing stone farm track which I intend on laying tarmac on.
the ground is stone and compacted like concrete and so the readings which i have are high. these readings are correct as there are no decimal places in the readout screen. Clegg hammer used is : 4.5kg CIST/882 CLEGG IMPACT SOIL TESTER.

Then the CBR is meaningless.

Anyway to prove that there are no "soft spots" in the "track" - I would presume that it wasn't an engineered pavement structure so you might get variations from place to place.

You might have better luck doing a Benkelman Beam study - it will tell you the deflections at the test locations along the track - which would tell you how much additional pavement structure is needed. (I chose the BB since it is likely more readily available than a falling weight deflectometer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back