Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cellular Glass Pipe Insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidzgz

Petroleum
Aug 13, 2015
US
Good morning,
I would like to ask something about cryogenic insulation.
Up to now, when low temperatures had been appeared, we have used PIR/PUR insulation for pipes. In this case, pipe supports had been made with HD polyurethane like insulation material (no problem). However, in a present project, insulation pipe material will be Cellular Glass due to its better flame resistance (inside fire hazardous zone) and I don't know if a cryogenic pipe support could be made with cellular glass (more expensive) and If that item will be useful (lower loads, I suppose).

Thanks in advance to someone who could help me.
Any opinion will be welcome!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cellular Glass - the only vendor I know is Foam Glas - like PUR/PUF comes in different densities and strengths. You need to find out what you can get, but they use high density foam glass underneath tank floors of some big tanks, so the loading is quite high. Insulation for those higher densities is not as good, but for the length of a support I can't imagine it being significant. I've seen it used underneath cryogenic storage tanks so is good for the duty.

This forum is not widely read - I would try linking it via a post in the chemical plant design and operations forum - you might get more answers there.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back