Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Centerline question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nham

Mechanical
Mar 20, 2013
FI
Hello fellow eng tippers,

I have a problem with a case that involves creating a centerline to a "long" hole. To be precise to the middle of the straight line between the actual holes.
Not to enter the discussion why, only thing I want to know if there is a preferred way to do this. Users have used offset centerline which produces the right outcome visually, but dimensions are not right.
Offset centerline is meant to be used for something else, but there seems to be no obvious way to archieve the same outcome. I will attach some pics to help describe what is wanted. Users use offset centerline to get the centerline as they want it to appear in the drawing. Problem is that you cannot dimension to this center mark. You need to dimension to teh midpoint of the line above or below the center mark.

1. desired outcome, center mark on a "long" hole
2. outcome with offset centerline, bottom dimension with bad dimension attached to the center mark and geometry. Top dimension with correct numbers attached to the midpoint of a line and geometry on the other end

Is there a good way to dimension such holes? there would be many other cases where such dimensioning is more practical than doing the old "dimension from the other end" stuff.

As I see it there should be a way to do this in NX. If there is one, please help me out.

Regardless of NX version used, tools are the same:)

NH

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

2D Centerline has always given me good, accurate results when dimensioning features such as slots, both long and short.

“Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.”
-Dalai Lama XIV

Hello ewh,

Thanks for a quick reply :) That is exactly what I was looking for. Too bad that you have to create two 2D centerlines to create one complete "center mark"
Also dimensioning is a little bit faster and easier to offset center mark because intersection of the two 2D centerlines is slower to pick when you have to zoom in to get a lock to the intersection.

Perhaps not a problem in our case, maybe for someone that has lots of slots to do this.

One new feature that is on my wishlist

Thanks!

NH

I agree... 2X 2D centerlines are twice the work, but they do give good results. It would be a nice enhancement to have such centerlines be more automated.

“Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.”
-Dalai Lama XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back