Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Centrifugal Pump Lubrication system 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

primaresa

Petroleum
Jan 9, 2013
Hello,

I'm preparing a datasheet for quoting centrifugal pumps, and I have questions about the lubrication system.
Could anyone please explain on what application these lubrication system would fit :

1. Ring Oil
2. Oil Mist
3. Flooded
4. Flinger
5. Pressure lubrication
6. Grease

Thank you,
Primaresa

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

These are all types of bearing lubrication. They will make up parts of the bearing housing and are dependant on the type of pump, speed, temperature, and location.

depends on a lot - especially the quality/capability of your maintenance dept.

here are some high level descriptions:

1. takes a bronze ring and "flings" oil around the shaft to lubricate bearings (this is the industry standard)
2. requires oil mist system ($$). best bearing lubrication/cooling.
3. bearing frame sump is filled (to a certain level) with oil. can be refilled without shutting down pump. requires maintenance crew to monitor sump levels
4. i believe it is the same as ring oil
5. Not necessary except for high energy density pumps (high HP, speed and thrust). Look through API and youll find the equation. but if your asking... you probably wont need a pressure lube system. and they are $$$$$$$$
6. There are actually two choices: 1) GFL (Greased for life) and 2) regreasable. GFL is greased for the calculated life of the bearing. With grease you will have to constantly send someone around and shut down the pumps periodically to grease the bearings.

Thank you for your kind response.
High-level description would be enough for now
I will ask again if I have more question regarding pump lubing system.

You haven't specified any speed, critical if operating 3600rpm.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Thank you for confirming Artisi, below is my pump requirement :

Nonhazardous transfer pump
fluid : water
discharge head : 220 ft
NPSHA : 24 ft
single stage, single volute, overhung pump
Rated power : 30 kW/40 HP

From several vendors that have send quotation, the RPM of the motor usually around 2900 RPM.

For this pump service, do I need to quote for non-close couple pump?

At the moment still gathering inputs :)

50HP and greater - i would stay away from c-face (close coupled) motors.

in terms of lubrication - i would go with flood oil if you have a good maintenance crew; otherwise go with grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back