Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Centrifuge Emissions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtR

Mechanical
May 23, 2001
US
We have a bottom drop centrifuge, 60" dia x 30" depth.

The feed is an aqueous slurry.

The operator opens the inspection port to watch the feed distribute on the basket.
Some of the feed material splashes out of the port. Speed is about 600 rpm.

I want to design a ventilation system to "suck up" the fumes/splashes, and put them through a scrubber.

How can I calculate the quantity and composition of material going to scrubber?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know how you would capture the splashed material but I can help you with the vapors. Ignore the solids content and calculate the mole fraction of each liquid species in the slurry (Sum of all mole fractions should add up to 1). You'll then need to determine the vapor pressure of each component at the desired temperature. Then, multipy the mole frac. and the vapor pressure of each component to get the partial pressure of each component. Then use PV=nRT where P = partial pressure and n = mass/MW to determine the vapor density (mass/vol.)of each component. Determine the airflow rate (vol./time) out of the centrifuge and divide into vapor density to get mass/time for each component! Note: This is conservative since you're assuming vapor/liquid equillibrium.

Re. the splashing product...

If you are using a conventional feedpipe, there is certainly a necessity for an opeator to ensure that the product distributes evenly onto the filter cloth, otherwise you will have an imbalance & subsequent shutdown -if you have a imbalance monitor.

Have you considered maintaining a closed system? No operator intervention...

An inclined cone shaped filling system which has a separate motor will accelerate the product & distribute it evenly onto the filter cloth - thereby removing the necessity for opening the unit during filling...

more info available if required!

Lots of Luck

BOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back