Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CERM, Keep or Sell 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverCrossing

Structural
Nov 25, 2015
US
I recently passed the PE and I am now wondering whether to keep my CERM for a reference text. I like it because it is broad, but maybe it would be better to simply acquire various texts with more depth per subject than the cerm. I am a bridge engineer, but also do miscellaneous designs for bridge repair work, such as stiff legs, cofferdams, retaining walls and etc. Thanks for the input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RiverCrossing:
I don’t have any idea what CERM stands for. Keeping “CERM for a reference text” is probably a good idea. But then, I’m an old guy and grew up using books to learn things, and I’m a lover of good tech books, good engineering ref. books. What did you pay for it, was it helpful in the intended endeavor, did you get most of your moneys worth once already? What would you get for it if you sold it used, and there is probably a new Ed. already, to boot? If it’s clear and simple and straight to the point, without a lot of theory, so be it, it will still jog your memory and help you approach some of your problems, and you know your way around in it. What will it be worth if it helps you solve an important problem now, or makes you think enough to look more deeply for the needed detail. I’d keep it. There have been damn few engineering texts and ref. books that I’ve sold, used, over the years, and I’d bet I’ve used them all at one time or another, some much more than others, of course.

Civil Engineering Reference Manusl. I kept my SERM (structural). Sure, it's a cursory review book. But then I've read it cover to cover. I find books that I've actually read to be about 5X as useful to me as ones that I haven't, even when I've got a pretty good understanding of the contents. I vote for keeping it for a couple years and reevaluating then.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

I sold a few of mine back because I needed some $. You could check to see how much the older version costs vs how a used current version sells for. You could sell it and then buy the same one later when it is out of date.
I kept my CERM though, and still use it from time to time.

Just because you passed the PE exam doesn't mean you no longer have to demonstrate competency as an engineer. Getting a license merely raises the stakes. Why would you give up a useful reference?

The only reason to get rid of books is if you got electronic versions. Or, someone is bugging you to clear some room, but again, you can switch to electronic format.

I've done that and gotten lots more. That's the beauty of PDFs; you can store millions of books and documents in 12 cubic inches. And, add the beauty that every year or so, the capacity doubles, which means you can double your collection. It's awesome... The only other things you'd need are some good search engines and a full version of Acrobat or similar so that you can OCR the books for which you don't have electronic versions.

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
homework forum: //faq731-376 forum1529

What happens in 5-10 years when the authentication server is taken off-line because PDFs or Kindles or whatever have been replaced? Not saying don't use digital documents (I have a ton of them) just make sure that you're okay with the potential for losing access to them later on.

Professional and Structural Engineer (ME, NH)
American Concrete Industries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back