Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Certified SolidWorks Tests now Online? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjason71

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2007
US
I noticed SWorks is now offering there CSWA and CSWP tests online and you can take them for free by requesting a voucher.

Has anyone received a voucher they had sent for? I am still waiting for mine (about a week).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DOGARILA said:
Why did he take the test anyway? It was a waste of the voucher:)

I guess he thought he was going to do better than he obviously did. Which was pretty sad given that he had glanced over my shoulder a couple of times while I was testing and knew what to expect.

Eltron said:
I just thought that I'd jump in and be the 100th post.2thumbsup

Dan

I had thoughts to do the same thing Dan, you just beat me to it.

Scratch that. Stupid firewall here I guess. I suppose I'm going to have to find a way (i.e. uninterrupted time) to do it from home. I don't have nearly the PC there that I do here, though.

What sort of a fix do you mean? Like a procedure or a patch?

I don't have time anymore to take it today, though. Perhaps if the wife and little one take a nap tomorrow afternoon I'll try it at home. I'm guessing from what I've read here (mostly part modeling, no too-large assemblies) that the biggest thing I would miss taking the test at home would be my dual monitor setup. I hate having to switch apps back and forth. If I don't do it at home tomorrow I'll do as you suggest, as the next time I would be able to try would probably be 11/3. We're going on vacation from Wed. of next week until Tues. of the following week.

I received my vouchers last week, just finished taking the CSWA test first (passed it too) there was 1 question on my test that was identical to a question in the sample test available for download from the SWx website. Are there just a large pool of questions and the online "tester" just pulls random question from? Did I just get lucky (at least w/1 question?)

SolidWorks 2007 SP2.2
Intel Xeon 2.8GHz 4GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX3000
3DConnexion SpaceNavigator

It's a beta patch.

I took the CSWA today. I don't know what happened. I have been having SW issues this week. I had to reinstall.
The rechecked my models multiple times, the mass numbers would not match any answer. I don't know why. They cam close. I think I need to completely reinstall SW again. I had errors when I logged on today.
I failed the CSWA test because of the numbers being wrong.

Chris
SolidWorks 07 4.0/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-07-07)
ctopher's blog

Well, I took the CSWP. I didn't like it. The whole test was only creating models and giving it the center of mass numbers. The dwgs to go by were not very clear. Someone with very good knowledge of drafting practices and experience should have created them. Some seemed to have dims missing. I didn't have time to finish the test because I spent too much time trying to figure out the stupid dwgs!. Out of 18 models with assys, I think I got to around 12, I failed.
I felt it was a waist of time! I can see why it was free.

Chris
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's blog

Heckdogg

When I took the CSWP Exam, the 50 questions came from a pool of 200 questions. That way if you take the Exam again you will not get the same 50 questions again. That is what my VAR told me. The Online Test don't sound very good. I still think that they should go back to old way. When my exam was marked it was by a macro.

Cheers,

Ralph Wright, CSWP
SolidWorks 2005, SP5.0
Intel Pentium D, 3.2Ghz
2.0Gb RAM
nVidia Quadro Fx 1300 Card
Microsoft Windows XP Pro

I just finished the CSWP exam, I thought is was going to be a bit harder. I was dissappointed as ctopher stated as the content of the test. I still passed, so I can't complain too much though.
If I had to pay for this exam, then I would really be ticked off weather I passed it or not.

Andy Heckman, CSWP/CSWA
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.2
NVIDIA Quadro FX3000

It seems that we are all in agreement about the quality of the online test. Heckdogg, how bad waw sthe CSWA compared to the CSWP?

the CSWA was a piece of cake compared to the CSWP. But it did a nice job of helping me get an idea of how the online testing client worked.

Andy Heckman, CSWP/CSWA
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.2
NVIDIA Quadro FX3000

In my case, the CSWA was more difficult than the CSWP. It had more of a range of models to do and more questions using CosmosExpress. I have not used Cosmos for a few years and had forgotten a lot.
The CSWP was basically the same model, but changing some dims I go, but was not clear on some models that should change ... some didn't seem to be in order. Some of the dwg to model from were not very good and some lacked dims to complete the models. All of the questions just asked for location of center of mass.

Chris
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's blog

Perhaps this is for another thread, but how well do you feel that the tests accomplish their goal? That is to establish a certain level of competence for solidworks users.

Personally, I don't feel they accomplish it much at all. One of my co-workers pointed out that it is possible to pass the CSWP without using solidworks at all. One could take the test on Pro-E and achieve the same results.

Does anyone know if SolidWorks is looking for feedback on these tests? There are numerous areas (as stated in previous posts) where the test can be improved.

-Shaggy

Shaggy18VW said:
Perhaps this is for another thread, but how well do you feel that the tests accomplish their goal? That is to establish a certain level of competence for solidworks users.

i would say that the test failed miserably at establishing competency with SW. Perhaps it does a decent job with displaying some competence in design intent, but like Shaggy pointed out, that doesn't necessarily prove that you are a SW guru.

If the test really is just modeling and finding center of mass it would seem to really be a rip-off. Granted, the designation of the test is CSWP Core, but there's much more in the "Core" than just modeling parts. Guess I'll see for myself as soon as I get a chance. It's a fascinating point that the test could be passed using ProE. Maybe the test should be called Certified Parts Modeling Expert. Or perhaps Certified Relative Aptitude for Parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back