Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Certified SolidWorks Tests now Online? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjason71

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2007
US
I noticed SWorks is now offering there CSWA and CSWP tests online and you can take them for free by requesting a voucher.

Has anyone received a voucher they had sent for? I am still waiting for mine (about a week).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I took a simplify test at an interview and I think they gave me the checking notes for the parts which showed what they would check for on the models one part had a fillet and draft on it and instead of designing with rectangular sketches and Draft and Round features the easiest way to do the part so it passed the test was to sketch it properly. Otherwise read the requirements carefully and plan the model instead of winging it.

Mirror Feature in Sketch can be done using the Dynamic Mirror Tool Which if you show all icons looks like a regular mirror command with a lightening bolt. When using this command you are asked to select a symmetric centerline and SW will put a Center line mark like in drafting two = signs perpendicular to the center line. When sketching the profile you sketch on one side and SW will sketch an identical figure on the other side as you go.

The questions are worded very poorly the Easy ones you will know if you got right immediately it would be good to have pen and paper ready to mark off questions to check later because they give you plenty of time. I saw a few questions where multiple answers would be valid and I'm not talking All Of The above types. I answered questions based on what I knew absolutely and occasionally guessed. There were a lot of Yes No questions and it seemed the right answers were always shown on the left but they switched location of Yes No almost randomly.

Some questions asked about how something could be done and the right answer is the most efficient and another equally valid option would be counted incorrect if it was more time consuming. I got a 76 basically because I second guessed a lot of answers and I have not used SW that much but would be well qualified for any job.

I have yet to take the Full Free test but plan to next week. I figure with the 76 I already got It shouldn't take long to pass with 90% which is required to be a Trainer at the place I'm going to work.

It would be helpful if people could post questions that seemed difficult or that you doubt you answered right so that others can be better prepared for the poorly worded questions.

Michael

[jester]

Michael,

The test you took sounds like it had alot of multiple choice on it. There isn't any at all on the free exam, it's solely based on your ability to model and obtain the correct value of a property of the model you create.

I took the CSWP exam this morning. I agree with takedownca's comments. There were a few illustrations and dimensions that were hard to read and slightly vague. I got the cosmos express questions wrong. I took the test with 2006 and I don't believe I can select the output units. One question asked for the max stress and the other the max deflection. I had to convert N/m^2 and mm into psi and in. I must have had some roundoff error. Also, my answer for deflection was .0023 in, but the question specifically stated it wanted the result in 2 decimal places... does that mean .00 in?

I did use a bit of linking, no DT or equations. I could see why someone might use a DT, because the nature of the questions was to model something then tweak several dims. All the dims would be located in one place using a DT. I just showed all annotations and added text to the dim to identify it as Dim B. I also upsized the font and bolded it so they would stand out.

Another issue was the nature of the test itself. You model a part (or assembly) and then get credit/no credit based on some geometric property. Some dims are tweaked and you give the value of the property again. If by some chance, you made an error on a feature that doesn't change between problems, all of your answers will be wrong.

I think the test loses a lot by being automated. A human checker would be able to give partial credit to most all of the minor mistakes. The automated process doesn't lend itself well to partial credit.

So it goes.

P.S. I passed, 170/200

-Shaggy

The test has been checked by computer for some time. I don't know if it holds true for these online tests but, when I took it at my VAR, I was able to "appeal" incorrect answers and SW would check it by hand.
With regard to the changing of dimensions, they do that to ensure you've adhered to the design intent. You should be able to double-click on a feature, then double-click on the pertinent dim to change it. This is what they're looking for. If the model has been created properly, then everything will update accordingly, maintaining design intent, with the simple dim change. As I recall, there is only one part that truly ends up with a second configuration. Then again, the 80's, from what I've been told, were a fun decade for me.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

You should be able to double-click on a feature, then double-click on the pertinent dim to change it. This is what they're looking for. If the model has been created properly, then everything will update accordingly, maintaining design intent, with the simple dim change.

Agreed Jeff, unfortunately the test does not really test that. You could model everything bottom up, and manually change several answers and achieve the correct answer. It will not be as elegant, or fast, but the test will give you full credit.

Also, the only thing they are looking for is that the user typed in the correct center of mass (or mass). How the correct result was achieved is lost. Any mis-typed result is wrong. But diligence can take care of that.

-Shaggy

Agreed Jeff, unfortunately the test does not really test that. You could model everything bottom up, and manually change several answers and achieve the correct answer. It will not be as elegant, or fast, but the test will give you full credit.

Also, the only thing they are looking for is that the user typed in the correct center of mass (or mass). How the correct result was achieved is lost. Any mis-typed result is wrong. But diligence can take care of that.

That should read "manually change several dimensions"

-Shaggy

Then they've changed the test, or we're talking about two different parts of the test, or I worded my response incorrectly. In the modeling portion that I took, they wanted you to create models that adhered to the design intent and that were symmetrical. To prove that you'd maintained design intent, you'd change a dim and the model still rebuilt correctly. They'd say, "dim x should work for values from y to z".

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

Jeff,
In this test, they have you model a part, and ask you the mass. Then they have you change a few dims and ask for the updated mass. You could manually change lots of dims (bad design intent), or you could use sketch relations and linking that would allow you to simply change one dim (good design intent). Using good design intent would allow the user to get done quicker, but no more correct (in the eyes of the test).

-Shaggy

From the examples I've seen online, Jeff, they have completely renovated the test that you would have taken. Those examples were what I studied off of for this exam, I looked at what SW recommended might be covered on the test, and the actual resulting test was like nothing I would have expected based on previous examples.

.0023 expressed to two decimal points is 2.3x10-3, not .00

Timelord,
I agree, the problem is, the little box I had to type in wouldn't allow me to type any character other than a number (i.e. no letters).

-Shaggy

They probably so the same test for the free one but the one I took at my interview had a summary page that was an easy way to go to a specific question instead of clicking Next or Previous but the Questions were numbered like Q0151 Q254 etc. or whatever. I'll probably take the free test next week but will definitely learn a lot more about the test and Solid Works trickery when I'm training for passing the CSWP full time.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back