Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chain dimensions using Basic number x and = sum

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooldeziner

Aerospace
Oct 14, 2005
US
I have scoured my copy of ASME Y14.5 1994 looking for the dimensioning for multiple holes that uses a BASIC hole to hole dimension x the number of holes = the sum of the BASIC dimension x the number of holes. I have been told that it is legal, but I can't find it in the standard. For my money, just giving the number of spaces and the BASIC dimension is fine; doing the math to add up the sum doesn't change or refine anything. Can someone tell me where this is covered in the standard?
Thanks

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2b19e6b9-d3bb-4467-bf43-af70fe19ab31&file=dimensioning_chained_holes.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, though not explicitly mentioning basic dims, 1.7.7 & figur 1.18 are relevant as is section 1.9.5 - especially 1.9.5.2.

I don't think extrapolating to basic is a big jump in logic.

Personally I don't' think it's worth the effort but the standard appears to support it.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Thanks for replying Kenat. Fig. 1-54 shows the method that I was looking for, but doesn't use BASIC dimensions; probably why I didn't see it when I was "scouring" the standard. The only usefulness I can see in this method is a little effort saved by a lazy draftsman, since the stackups will be the same as chain dimensions. Thanks for your help.

There are several examples in that standard that show the "x times basic" method for circular patterns. Check out Fig. 5-8 at the top of page 88. Also a division-type basic given for the angle in Figure 5-32. But I'm not quite sure if this was the gist of your question.

John-Paul Belanger
Certified Sr. GD&T Professional
Geometric Learning Systems

It can also serve to limit "clutter" on a drawing, and is not necessarily the result of a lazy drafter.

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

I must be misunderstanding the point, how does adding extra text that 10 X 20 "(=220)" reduce effort or make a lazy drafter?

Why not just 10 X 20?

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back