Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Chainlink Fence As Guardrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaani

Structural
Feb 4, 2013
US
Is chainlink fence suitable to be used as a guardrail for retaining walls ? IBC chapter 16 requires guards to be design for 200 lb concentrated load and 50 lb/ft applied on any direction on the rail. But how do you make sure the infill mesh is adequate ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not know how tall your fence is but if it is not very tall (42" to 60"), I think it would be the top pipe that the chain link is fastened to that needs to meet the load requirements, not the mesh.

Also, it depends on the mesh size. The chain link fences I have seen most likely would meet the force requirements but not the posts and top rails.

Use the loads for intermediate rails. Calculate using cable theory. Assume sag is the max deflection allowed. Given that, it may be difficult or too costly to spend the time to calculate using chain link.

We use chain link for pedestrian safety fence on our (DOT) projects. We have the same loading criteria under AASHTO as the building codes. If it didn't meet the requirements, I know we wouldn't be able to use it. That said, if you need documentation, I would be fairly certain any of the big chain link fence suppliers could provide you with documentation from the manufacturer if you need it.

I would design the mesh for whatever the picket loading is for your guardrails. That being said, I don't think i've ever come across a chain link that couldn't provide adequate infilling. As others have said, it will be the rails and posts that will cause you grief.

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts on this. I was thinking may be the ties which tie the mesh to the frame need to be shown to resist the required loading conditions ? As for the mesh, I will probably ask for documentation or proof of acceptable performance whatever that means. Either way, they still have other options when it comes to selecting guards. Its because the chainlink is cheap that they like so much.

I know for buildings, there is a requirement that the construction of the guardrail cannot facilitate climbing. depending on your situation, this may or may not be a deciding factor. of course, kids climb all over the stuff.

I see a lot of chain link fence in my area as guard barriers for older civil infrastructure, but never for newer civil infrastructure. interestingly enough, was walking over the Sydney harbour bridge recently and saw an interesting use of chain link fence as a barrier, but fashioned in a way that makes climbing difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back