Change Transparency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BARM

Mechanical
Aug 23, 2007
CA
Hi All,
What's the quickest way to Change Transparency of my part?
(I'm not working in assembly mode)

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for all the posts everyone.

1)Virtual parts in Assemblies in 08 is AWESOME!!!! Very usefull for me.

2)icons = easier interface (less mouse clicks)

Just my opinion... no one has to agree.

---SW 2008 SP1.1---

I have no need for a part/feature Transparency icon (I use the HLV icon if required), but I can understand the want for one if a user often requires that function. If it operated the same as the icon in the assy toolbar, it would save several of clicks and mouse movements ... especially when removing the transparency.

Icon method;
Select the feature or body
Move to and click the Transparency icon (or use hotkey)
Done

Existing method;
Select the feature or body
Click the Edit Color icon (or use hotkey)
Move to, and grab and adjust the Transparency slider
Move to and Click the Tick or hit Enter
Done

Users are familiar with this function in the assy toolbar, so I don't think it would cause too much confusion if the same function was also in the View or Feature toolbar.

I will not be submitting an ER for this though. I would rather SW resources be used for more useful (for me) changes.

[cheers]

I'd like such a feature that changes the transparency (with a button or hotkey or whatever) of the view--part, body, feature, whatever--but not of the true material. This can be more handy than using HLV for the same purpose, since complicated models can make a mess of the display with all the lines. Anyway, it would be a much-faster toggle in the context of a part. Go to an assembly in which the part is used, and you have your original material displayed, not affected by the transparency toggle.

Again, this is just a means for simpler work. The current transparency setting applies the transparency in a "permanent" state to your material. Plus, making the change is a kludge of mouse clicking--which isn't conducive for quickly checking geometry through the part while constructing (for example) a sketch. Meintsi mentioned a perfect example of what sort of context this would be useful.

Also, if this is applied as a temporary toggle of the display of the part, possibility of confusion by the user is low--the toolbar will clearly indicate which "mode" the viewer sees, and clicking a different mode will immediately change it back where it was. If this was a true transparency button, I could see confusion, since we don't need to increase the avenues possible in doing so. But we don't currently have a temporary transparency "display" mode at the part level as we do on the assembly level. (I once threw a part into an assembly by itself just to get this capacity through the use of the assembly's part transparency toggle--worked faster for me, plus I could immediately either see through the part or not.)

Jeff Mowry
What did you dream? It's all right--we told you what to dream.
--Pink Floyd, Welcome to the Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back