Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing size of linked datum plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icetea73

Apr 10, 2013
DE
Well, the subject is already the question. I have several wave linked datum planes and they are displayed in a huge size that visually hinders working on the model. I can of course hide them but I would prefer to just resize it as suitable like I would do with a regular, non-linked datum plane.

I'm on NX9.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you should be able to double-click on them and drag the "edges"

Sure works only on a regular plane. But on a linked plane it opens the wave linking dialog so I was hoping there is another way...

WAVE-linked Datum Planes inherit the size of the original parent Datum Plane when they're created. Once created, there is NO direct way to change their apparent size. If you wish to make the apparent size of the WAVE-linked Datum Plane smaller or larger, you need to go back to the part file where the parent Datum Plane is located, change the size there and then return to where the WAVE-linked Datum was created and now when you edit THAT Datum Plane you will see an option near the bottom of the dialog, in the 'Settings' section, labeled 'Use Display Prperties of Parent Part'. If you toggle this option ON, the WAVE-linked Datum Plane will automatically resize to match the edited size of the parent Datum Plane.

Now if you don't want the keep that edited size for the parent Datum Plane, while still in the part file where the WAVE-linked Datum Plane is located, got back and edit THAT Datum Plane again, only this time toggling OFF the 'Use Display Prperties of Parent Part' option, hitting OK and now you can go back to where the original parent Datum Plane is located and edit it back to your desired size, and the new WAVE-linked Datum Plane will remain in it's new resized appearance.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I actually tried 'Use Display Prperties of Parent Part' which seemed to be exactly what I needed.
The original plane is part of a datum csys. Is it possible that this case is not considered and that it is the reason why 'Use Display Prperties of Parent Part' does not work in my case?
Same happens when selecting a vector that is part of the csys.

John,
The Chicago/Wisconsin Regional User Group Meeting is next week,
Looking forward to seeing you there !

Yes, Datum CSYS are a special case. At one time there was a difference in how Fixed versus Relative or 'associative' Datums were displayed (you couldn't do much with the appearance of a Fixed Datum) but that was later changed so that you could resize Fixed as well as relative Datums, however the Datums that make-up a Datum CSYS are still treated as if they were these older style Fixed Datums, only allowing them to be resized by editing a numerical 'Scale Factor' of the Datum CSYS which is not the same things as resizing the Datum itself. The 'Scale Factor' is applied to ALL the elements of the CSYS at once. To put it another way, there is NO independent control of the display, such as the size, that you could apply to a single element of a CSYS. It's all or nothing, and therefore there's nothing usable that could be shared with the WAVE-linked Datum Plane so it get's treated exactly for what it is, an objected linked to something which has a fixed size, period.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back