Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing the sort order in the assembly navigator 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennisbruce

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2013
US
thread561-358715
All of the posts in the referenced thread missed the easiest option to change the default (chronological) sort order to Alphabetical. You have to make sure the "ASSEMBLIES APPLICATION" (found on the application toolbar) is active. Then position the cursor over the assembly file in the assembly navigator and choose the navigation order.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Actually, yes I did. That is why I included the crucial piece of missing information. If the Assemblies application is not active you wont be able to use the easiest way to change the sort order on demand. I flip the sort order back and forth all the time.

Ok, two things.

[ol 1]
[li]The OP's question was about the order of loading the assembly, not necessarily the ANT sort order. Much of the thread was dedicated to sorting that out.[/li]
[li]One of JohnRBaker's posts, the ninth reply in the thread, mentions exactly what you said; only he included a screenshot to go with the explanation.[/li]
[/ol]

www.nxjournaling.com

cowski, if you look at JohnRbakers post, he does not mention that you MUST have the assemblies application active. try it yourself. if it isn't active you won't get the choice to change the sort order. it will only show the default, which is chronological.
Also, both topics were covered in the thread. I only addressed the one.

dennisbruce said:
he does not mention that you MUST have the assemblies application active. try it yourself. if it isn't active you won't get the choice to change the sort order.

Yes, I'm agreed that you must have the assemblies application active to change the current sort order. Thank you for adding that information.

However, while informative, it does not answer any question raised in that thread. Changing the sort order in the ANT will change the current view; but it does not set the default view (used when opening existing parts), which is what hoolito was asking about. In NX 9, the file will open showing the sort order that it was saved with; there is no option to set a default sort order when opening a part.

www.nxjournaling.com

Thanks. More accurately I was answering hoolito's post, dated 17 jul 14 07:50, down the thread.
I guess pursuant to the original question by Cubalibre00, I don't know why anyone would want to open an assembly by chronological vs alphanumerical... There are better ways to handle versions, ie reference sets, load options( from search directory) etc.

Anyway, wasn't trying to be argumentative, thanks for your time cowski!

A little comment to the side of this discussion.
The NX assemblies application is a bit odd in the respect that once you have "ticked" it ON, it will be ON in your future sessions without any further interaction.
the problem is that new users to NX or "old users on new hardware" must understand / remember to turn it on, else the assemblies functionality isn't there. ( This is a very-very frequent support question...)
So, unless your company has some automatic utility to turn off the assemblies application, you will not need to turn it on again until you renew your hardware.

Regards,
Tomas

Actually this behavior, whether the Assemblies application remains enabled or not when you launch a new NX session, is controlled by a Customer Default setting, as shown below.

Assemblies_Defaults_ubhzyj.png

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back