Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Topology moves elements back to the surface component? How can I stop this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd0360

Aerospace
Oct 1, 2012
SE
I have noticed an annoying trait of Hypermesh, and I want to know if there is a setting which can prevent this. Please see if you an help.

When I create a model that is complex, and requires many different thicknesses (and hence properties), My work flow is the following (simplified but useful to help understand the problem):

1. Simplify the geometry the best I can
(and now begin to mesh)
2. Create a property card
3. Create a new component, with that property card
4. Mesh the surface, so that the correct property is assigned.
5. Repeat for the various zones/thickness/features etc.

I have noticed that when I edit/change the topology (as it not always possible to have all the geometry perfect before you start meshing, and the actual act of meshing sometimes you find things you need to change in the topology to improve the mesh), that the elements jump back to the original component where the surface (that has been edited) resides. This is undersirable, as it loses the property that has been assigned.

How do I prevent this?
I have tried the obvious (I mesh with the setting so that elements go to current component, not surface)

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back