Check pH in TEG

Status
Not open for further replies.

binbin73

Petroleum
May 6, 2023
VN
Hi ALL,

our gas processing has TEG generation system that required to check pH in lean TEG weekly.
the procedure to test pH of lean TEG as below:
PROCEDURE
4.3.1 Calibrate the meter, using the buffer solutions, in accordance with the manufacturer's
instruction manual.
4.3.2 Measure 11 ml of glycol sample and 239 ml distilled water into a 250ml beaker. Mix
thoroughly.
4.3.3 Place pH electrode and thermometer into the solution.
4.3.4 Adjust temperature compensation control on pH meter to correspond to solution
temperature.
4.3.5 Read pH directly from meter scale and record.
4.3.6 Rinse electrodes with distilled water

I do not figure out why to add distilled water for the test. the man made procedure already has retired.
I would appreciate your advice on the master.
thanks all in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I second pierreick,

WRT the water i guess its about measuring pH. I dont think that acids will dissociate (when the acid donate the proton like HCL <=> H+ + Cl- )in TEG so you need to add water to be able to measure the pH. But its been too long since i did chemictry in a lab so i dont recall this part.

--- Best regards, Morten Andersen

What is the pass/fail criteria? What is your production pH requirement?

I can see doing something like this to check for contaminants or consistency in the TEG process.

see for a possible explanation for diluting the sample.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

So the text IRstuff refers to give 5 reasons, the first three being someting to do with the measuring principle and the last one the reason i gave. In the case with TEG i think its 4) and/or 5) but im not sure.

Thanks all for your comments/advice.
I also wonder about volume TEG (11ml)and distilled water (239ml). where do numbers come from? or related to ASTM?
thanks again

probably not since its in ml =250 ml. ASTM would have chosen something in fl oz i would guess. 250 ml is most likely just because is a normal type of beaker. The ratio water/sample is to achieve the correct dillution to be able to measure pH.

Who is manufacturer of this meter, and what type electrode is this? Have you asked the meter manufacturer?
Literature from BS&B for a Ag/AgCl electrode requires a 1:1 v/v dilution of the lean glycol sample with de ionised water, while you have stated a 1:22 v/v. dilution.

Thanks ALL for your advice.
actual the problem is normally pH of lean TEG in our system is about 7.3 and it has maintained for longtime (about 20 years) but recently we found it drops to 6.0
then I look back to procedure to test pH in TEG as showed diluted with distilled water in strange ratio (TEG/distilled water: 11/239)
Now we are attempting to refresh TEG in the treatment system.
other my concern is the solubility of H2S in TEG to cause low pH?
thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back