Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check valve and pump system dynamics

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCADMan

Computer
Apr 6, 2002
US
I don't understand the dynamics of what's happening in what I describe below:
Our plumber, who has done good work for us in the past, recently installed a new Shellback
sump pump in our basement. Occasionally (not-repeatable in a technical sense- it occurs
randomly about five percent of the time), the brass check valve he used slams shut with a very
loud bang, and sometimes bounces, usually no more than two bounces. I can't believe that this is
normal, although he says that brass check valves are about all the same. I request info, both by
way of just general knowledge about the subject, as well as parts which either I or our plumber
can use in this line which won't exhibit this not-repeatable behavior.

I asked the customer service guy at Shellback if it is possible that somehow the pump is generating backlash, and he said no. Still, I believe that there must be some kind of active force on the thing over and above that of gravity and the seven foot water column. For a ball to accelerate that fast over a distance of two inches, some other force must be applied. I just don't understand the dynamics of the thing.

The valve is a LEGEND 1 200 W00 for 1 1/4" pipe. It was made in Taiwan. It is brass, threaded,
possibly model T-149, and it is eventually coupled to a PVC pipe. The 1/4" pvc outlet drops
about 7 feet.

Marvin E Walden
Troy, MI, USA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

He has installed the wrong type of check valve or the valve is in the wrong position. A swing check should only be in the horizontal position. You are getting water hammer upon pump shut-off. The solution is a weighted check valve designed to shut tight instantaneously at pump shut-off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back