self priming pump loosing prime

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjr1111

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2023
US
HI all,

I have a question I'm curious on opinions on. I have a sump crock with that has two pumps. One is to discharge to a equalization tank that runs off tank level so comes on and off frequently, and the other is a recirculation line that goes through a PH meter, this pump is supposed to run constantly. The recirculation pump and discharge pump are both self priming. The discharge is much larger than the recirculation pump.

The issue is the recirculation pump often looses prime. One thought was the discharge pump is pulling too hard causing air entrainment into the suction of the recirculation pump. We've tried to angle the suction of the recirculation pump away from the discharge pump with no success. Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just to give some closure on this one, was able to reorient the discharge line from the pump to spray out against the sump basin wall instead of down at the inlet, hoping to mitigate any air entrainment that would have previously entered the inlet. To date the pumps have been running well, and have not lost prime. So will consider the case closed for now, thank you to all who gave your time and effort to help offer suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back