Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chemical Solution Disposal System in a Refinery

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiGiG

Petroleum
Jan 4, 2018
IN
Hi guys,
I am looking for the most effective way of disposing the drains of chemicals like DMDS, caustic, TSP, corrosion inhibitor etc. One option is to discharge it in the OWS and dilute with service water but don't know about the environmental implications of this. Will really appreciate your help on the most efficient (both environmental and economic) way of disposing this drains. Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One issue to keep in mind is that if you operate a process with the intent of treating chemicals to dispose of them you become a hazardous waste processor, which requires special EPA permits. As a result, most companies I've worked for contract with other companies to dispose of waste.

IMO, be aware of your OWS treatment system if it can process all these waste to meet the local Law and regulations. Be careful that the "dilution" may not be a solution anymore especially the EPA rules getting tighter and tighter.

The most environmentally and financially efficient way to deal with these streams is to deal with them separately. Your OWS is not a trash compactor that eats everything. Never mix what is not mixed, or everything will become a hazardous waste and expensive to get rid of, and some wastes may react with each other.

Thanks for your valuable inputs. Infact our OWS said they could not accept most of these chemicals because we are using biological treatment.

I understand one way of doing this is to use a chemical drain sewer to collect all the chemicals before giving it out to a vendor. Is there any way of collecting this chemicals if I don't want to use a chemical sewer?

Thanks

Without a specific chemical sewer system for the chemical waste stream, you can store these spent waste in the storage tanks and then truck it out periodically to have outside vendor to process it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back