Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cherrymax Unisink Head Rivet Strength Allowables

Status
Not open for further replies.

graemew

Jul 1, 2003
AU
I have a need to use low head height uni-sink cherrymax rivets as a substitution for MS20470AD4 rivets to maintain clearances in a flight control gap when an oversize rivet is needed. The sheet is .025" th 2024T3 alclad.
The rivet strength required is relatively low and I have a feeling that the Uni-sinks would be fine. Proving it is another question however. The catalogue is useless for this purpose (of course ).
Does anyone have any data that would be of use, or a strategy for deriving an allowable from other acceptable data?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have this information, either. However, I believe based on the thickness of your material, you are going to be bearing critical anyway. It does not matter what the strength of the rivet is because the material itself is going to fail.

Hombre

thanks hombre
If it were a universal head fastener I could use that approach, but for a countersunk fastener I will need a published allowable

Thanks aviat.
I see that Huck have got onto the band-wagon.
Cherry started producing the unisink head in the 70's with pn CR3245 as part of the cherrymax series.
The numbers in the Huck standard are not allowables for joints but rather are the strength of the actual fastener itself.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back