Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Chicago Building Code 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

priya15

Structural
Jun 21, 2006
IN
Could anyone let me know what building codes are referenced in the new Chicago Building Code 2014.
I need to buy one!

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe Chicago Building Code doesn't reference any other building code, but the sections in the code are arranged in an approach similar to the model building code developed by ICC. Many in the industry believe the Chicago Building Code to be outdated and inconvenient to use per today's standards.

How many city-specific building codes are there in the US? How many total codes?

I had thought all of your authorities having jurisdiction were adopting one of your three "national" codes... I find this all very interesting.

I believe you can look at the code online. And I think strucguy is correct, it doesn't appear to adopt other model codes.

Outdated? Probably. Inconvenient? Who wouldn't like using that code?? If your building is less than 200' tall; your MWFRS wind loads are 20psf, your C&C loads are 25psf with 30psf at the corners. ASCE 7-10 would take you six or eight chapters to get that information.

Interesting that Chicago and NYC both have simplified provisions for wind loading. NYC is similar, mwfrs = 20 psf for < 200' and 25psf for < 300'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back