Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

01_y2cgbf.jpg

01_o0ecsx.jpg

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

Flightradar24 for the plane (from above).

Flightradar24 uses transponder data (mostly not radar, despite the name). The transponder speed seems to stay almost the same throughout the descent, which might indicate a problem with the speed sensing if it's not just an artifact of the reporting.

Can't be sure. (It's a Boeing.)
Approximately 200mph vertical. Terminal velocity.

A black swan to a turkey is a white swan to the butcher ... and to Boeing.

Yes, look at the second photo in Red's post. You can clearly see black characters on the bottom of the wing.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

What part of the plane is this bit?

Full video here.
It doesn't look the same writing as all the photos as the Chinese characters are in red on all the photos I can find, but is clearly a long way from the impact location. Those dash cam / CCTV is horrendous. If the FDR survives that in any shape able to provide data it will be outstanding. But I guess the german wings crash survived something similar.

Screenshot_2022-03-21_154144_vgkndl.jpg

Screenshot_2022-03-21_154222_k5ibjo.jpg

I was too late! - Good spot John = so it looks like the wings fell off....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

ADS-B that you get off the web aviation tracking sites is GPS ground speed. And the data rate is spot values ever 3 seconds.

Its great and more than sufficient for controlled flight tracking and air traffic control. This crash investigation usage it is not very good.

Only thing I can comment is that it looks as if it was in one piece.

And for your information the max speed of the 737-800 at 10 000ft is 350 knots (650 km/h). Now you have to watch what the out put is of the flight radar stuff what units its in and its lateral ground speed so you would have to work out the angle with the rate of decent to get an approximate airspeed. Those numbers 550 looked hellish to me, how did the wings stay on, until I realised they were km/hr.

With the glide ratio of a piano...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

In one link someone compared this flight with the same flight and plane the day before, they sade the dive started when the previous day the "normal" decent had started.
So what is done to start the landing approach?

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

You set the FMS up about 15 mins before top of decent and brief.

Then you get cleared by airtraffic to descend which you set on the altitude selector then normally manually descend using vertical speed with the auto pilot flying at about 1000ft/min until the pressurisation has sorted itself out then descend on what ever the company policy is. There are various ways to do it, power at flight idle or a 3 deg path are the most common depending on how fussy they are about fuel economy. And from friends that used to fly in China pre covid they don't care about fuel economy there. The Captain always fly's the aircraft.

China Eastern actually have quiet a good safety record.

Flight management system.

It is the brain of the automatic system linked with Navigation.

I am not sure how much it covers on the 737-800. But modern aircraft eg 787 handle vertical and horizontal navigation and also aircraft performance for takeoff and landing. the company defines policy's for various stages of flight and they upload them into the FMS and it manages the aircraft.

You have three main modes, FMS is providing the flight inputs to the autopilot via the flight director and autothrottle. Manual selection of vertical, horizontal modes and speed. And you fly it manually. It is extremely unusual to the point of only ever done with a technical issue for a swept wing jet to be flown manually at cruise levels. You have a extremely small window between stall and over speed called coffin corner. And its extremely twitchy to manual control inputs due to the swept wing aero dynamics. It is not normal in china to fly manually in any stage of flight.

From the security cam video, it appears the aircraft was on an ever steepening trajectory. This would be consistent with the impact photos. The aircraft may have been rotating about its longitudinal axis.

I grabbed some frames from the video, aligned them on the fixed point that appears at the lower right side, and traced the path (red):

Chinese_737_crash_unmsap.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back