Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choise of FEA Software to model laminated composites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albertsen

Automotive
Feb 16, 2005
DE
Having the responsibility to simulate the performance of fibre reinforced thermoplastic crash boxes I am looking for suitable software to build FE models. The simulations will be done using LS Dyna (explicit FEM).

Because of the complex geometry of our components the draping process during manufacture will result in complex laminat lay-ups. I need software that allow me to keep track of local fibre angles while building the FE-model. At the same time I need an interface to LS Dyna, which apparently rule out MSC Patran Laminate Modeller due to the poor LS Dyna interface of Patran.

Does anybody out there know of any software that will do draping simulation as a part of a pre-processing to generate a FE Model??

Regards

Henrik Albertsen

Jacob Composite, Germany

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Laminate Modeller plug-in for MSC.PATRAN is the best thing around for this AFAIK. I have no direct experience with it, but it's dominance of certain markets suggests it's good at what it does.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I have been working extensively with the Patran Laminate Modeller some years ago and I recognise it to be a very good tool, but I am not sure about the LS Dyna interface. Also Patran seems to be behind Hypermesh when it comes to CAD handeling and mesh modifications??

How does Patran do when postprocessing crash simulations??

Henrik

Hello,

Do you know Medina ?
That is supporting laminate modelling and post-processing.
And it has fine interface for Ls-dyna.
for more information, refer to
Jeon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back