Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

chute design

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTPE

Structural
Jun 17, 2002
US
I am looking for information on design of a stepped chute to carry a bulk material discharged from a conveyor. How are the chute dimensions calculated knowing the material properties? I also know the chute angle.

The material is being discharged from a valve that has a discharge opening of 4sqft. Do I just match that area the whole way down? The chute is at a 50 degree slope with a stepped "rock box" bottom to reduce wear.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JTPE,

I suggest reviewing some of the information from CEMA at . Also, Martin Engineering has a lot of good information on transfer points and chute designs (their "Foundations" series), but primarily aimed at minimizing/controlling dust.

There are lots of things to consider in the design of chutes. Some of these include: type of material (talcum powder, copper ore, sand, feathers), angle of repose of the material, stickiness of the material, maximum lump size, drop height, abrasivity of the material, the nature/dimensions of the opening (you mention valve), toxicity of the material, can dust be tolerated, does the chute need to be enclosed or open, etc.

Cheers,
CanuckMiner

What kind of conveyor? Is it an auger?

What kind of material is being conveyed? Is it a powder?

Certain materials can "bridge over" so the size of the hole can matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back