Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Circumscribed Construction Circle on Siemens NX Drafting Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbrahTer

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2021
MX
Hi everyone!

I was trying a thing: I made a 3D model of an extruded equilateral triangle, the circumscribed circle has a diameter of 12.7 mm (1/2 in).

I tried first drawing the same circle on another sketch and visualizing it on another layer, but it is showed as a solid continued entity, not a contruction entity. The second thing I want to try is to draw a construction circle on a sketch inside de drafting application, but I can't find a way to make the circle tangent to the three sides of the equilateral triangle.

How can I solve this drafting problem?

triangle_zcrzmt.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What version of NX are you using?

Your question mentions a "circumscribed" circle, which would completely contain the triangle; but your description seems to imply you want an "inscribed" circle (circle contained by the triangle).

Are you specifically asking about sketching in the drafting application, or would another solution work for you? It sounds like you just want a dashed circle to appear on the drawing. If so, there are probably multiple ways to achieve that.

www.nxjournaling.com

The trick is that EITHER the circle OR the lines cannot be fully constrained. In other words, if you fully constrain the triangle, then ONLY constrain the circle to be tangent to the three sides. If you fully constrain the circle, than you cannot define the lengths of the sides of the triangle.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Hi again -

In NX10 - you should be able to constrain sketch in Drafting App - to Solid Lines from MODEL part...
I just tried this before - as per attached pic in previous mail...
circle_tangent_to_triangle_based_on_Model_extrusion_gconsz.jpg

MAKE SURE the sketch is inside the View...

lklo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back