Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Civil 3D - Annotative dimension - Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mexicali8

Civil/Environmental
Oct 3, 2006
MX
I'm using Civil 3D 2008.

Most of the time, when I try to move or delete Annotative Text or Dimensions, Civil will not respond to the command.

I have identified 3 cases:
1.- The move or delete simply does not occur.
2.- Civil says that the object is open for editing, and will not complete the action.
3.- Trying to edit Mtext, an "Internal Error: Cannot open MTEXT object to write changes. Please contact techical support... " message appears. It does not shuts down C3D.

If I close and open the drawing, edits run flawlessly... Until I use some other commands and the problem returns.

Any known solution on this bug?

RGuerra

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Upgrade to 2011 :)

Actually, I think the bug went away in 2010, maybe 2009. I can't remember. But I do remember having that problem, to the point where I forbid the use of the annotative text styles. I'm pretty sure there is no fix for that.

No need to live with it!

I was using '08 for a long time and I have a few suggestions that could make it a little easier.

First, try running "audit" and selecting "yes" when prompted to fix errors.

Also, I've found that there is a setting to automatically add annotation scales. Disable that. If you need more scales add them manually (although I don't recommend more than one scale per object).

There are two utilities that Autodesk puts out called "Scale List Cleanup" and "Regapp Cleanup" (if those aren't the exact names they are close). Running those utilities on drawings seemed to alleviate some of the issues I had with annotative text.

I found the best practice with 2008 was to only have one scale per object. Seems silly because that isn't really the idea, but it prevented a lot of errors.

Good luck and let me know if I didn't explain things enough.

Those are all valid fixes that I used with varying success. You can really waste time, though, as a few minutes here and there tend to add up. Plus, its a pain in the you-know-what when you are trying to manage a staff as well as using the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back