Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clarifications of Sec 1 Boiler code for discharge valves and piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSQUAREDBUCKEYE

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2005
US
As a supplier I am conflicted between a FM inspector that says the piping from the 300# flanged steam drum outlet of the high pressure boiler to the flanged non-return valve, the flanged non-return valve, the flanged piping between the flanged non-return valve and the first flanged stop valve, the drain valve piping, the drain valve and first flanged stop valve all have to be supplied with Certified Material Test Reports and documented on an ASME data report Form P-1 and installed by an ASME "S", "A", or "PP" stamp holder and the form signed and stamped by the stamp holder's commissioned Authorized Inspector.

And the valve manufacturers I represent that say only the non-return valve, the piping from it to the boiler drum, and the piping from the non-return valve to the first stop valve needs to be documented and stamped.

I do not have a problem providing the CMTRs, or stamped pipe spools and non-return valve, but the stamping of the first stop valve and drain valve is a problem for the manufacturers.

Can someone clarify this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you taken a look at PG-58.3.1 in ASME I, which diagrams the jurisdictional limits for boiler proper/BEP/NBEP? That, and the associated paragraphs will provide additional clarity.

Typically, the drain valves and associated piping (up to the first or second valve depending on circumstances) are considered to be BEP.

When in doubt, consult the AI.

Thank you Mr168 and glrsbmiqc, if I had a copy of the code I could look to the specific pages you reference. I looked at buying a copy of the code and it was $14K. This is more than the selling price of the valves and pipe spools combined.

I'm glad there wasn't a FM inspector around when the laws of the land were that the world was flat...

B2

bsquared, ASME sells in sections, I buy mine direct from tthe ASME. and sect I with required B31.1 can cost less than 1,000USD, not 15 or 20K as you mention.
now saying that, for 2or more boilers tied together it gets technical as you ahve to certify drains, checks and secondary valves.but as long as the valves are certified as ANSI ASME I do not see a problem, but you as supplier are not in trouble, the S,PP, A stamp holder is responsible for the certification. jour job is to supply what they are asking... if you do not have MTR;s correctly... you replace them or the AI will reject them.
The ASME Stamp Holder will ahve the Code Books so ask them to help.

GenB, thank you for the reply. I was getting kind of lonely out here. LOL! I have learned much through this order, and since it is not complete I believe there will be more to learn. Basically a sales person needs to advise their customer, regardless if they want to or not, employ a "stamp holder". My customer didn't want to, but we are now on board with one and moving forward. I now understand there is a "partial form" for certifying the pieces of equipment and then an "overall form" to certify the design and installation. In addition to ASME, who is often mentioned in the state's code, it is however the state that is the governing body.

One thing that is still not clear to me is where to get a "certified section 1" stop valve and drain valve. No problem with a non-return valve, but after several phone calls to other suppliers and manufacturers this unicorn eludes me. Section 1 steam relief valves, no problem. I'm hoping it is a matter of the stamp holder reviewing the CMTRs and the valve's rated pressure and temperature and approving it in his certified design. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Again thanks for your reply.

not a problem. the stamp holder will know and will supply certifications.
valves are certified as ANSI standards accepted to the ASME.
The Inspector (boiler and PV Authorized Inspector)will review the documentation and accept if in conformance.
Most States have adopted the ASME Code as legal requirement.
Good luck. Genbgeneralboiler

Bsquared:

ASME Section I accepts ASME Standard B16.34 for valves within the boundaries governed by this section of the code. See PG-42.1.12 & PG-42.2.

And your Inspector from FM is correct, if you are attaching the steam line to a common header. Trust your AI's, they are documented experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back