Class A, B, C shutdown logic 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexWNZ

Electrical
Jul 3, 2019
NZ
Hi All,

I've been working with gas engine driven reciprocating gas compressors for a while now and I've never found which standard defines the way shutdown logic should be handled (i.e. class A, B, C shutdowns, the "B" and "b" timers etc).

It seems common across a bunch of vendor control systems (AMOT, Spartan etc) but with some slight differences between them.

Is this something that is in a standard somewhere or is it up to the vendor to make up their own? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Alex from NZ

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It sounds like vendor specific descriptions.

I've never heard of class A B C shutdowns.

PetroChem plants typically have level 0 1 2 3 shutdowns which is fairly common, but what cause that is part of the design work.

Level 0 is usually a "push and run" button!

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks for the feedback!

There is reference to what the shutdowns do in this PLC talk thread
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=66535[/url]

Its very muchly a skid based way of thinking (i.e. how the skid gets through its sequence logic and what shutdowns are applicable when (i.e. the low coolant pressure trip on a machine shouldn't be active when the machine is stopped otherwise it will never start). I haven't yet seen it applied to the wider process.

As mentioned before I'd be keen on understanding if this is codified under an industry standard, or if its just a convention most compressor / engine skid manufacturers have adopted.

Thanks!

It's just a convention.

Normally these would be determined in the cause and effect diagram/ logic.

The 0,1,2,3 levels work for plants / rigs etc so maybe the individual vendors decided to use A, B, C in their internal logic to avoid confusion....

Inhibition of action during start-up is common for process systems but is normally carefully controlled as is inhibited ESD trips.

At my site we use ESD 1, ESD2 and ESD 3. ESD 1 has the highest criticality and it's a full facility shutdown. ESD 2 initiates the shutdown for process units and ESD 3 initiates the shutdown of equipment. For the case of compressors, as ESD 3 on critical equipment will result in a ESD 1.
After reading your link to PLC Talk I believe these are just equivalent ways to refer to same shutdown levels. Our description is more aligned with @1503-44's reply.

I am not aware of any standard, such as ISA-84, IEC 61511, etc. that would mandate the nomenclature or labeling of shutdown
scenarios.

Hi,

Yes I did reach out to a vendor and it sounds like it is just a convention based off old AMOT functionality back in the 90s (Presumably this might become a standard some day! [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back