Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning Flux from Stainless Welds 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryC

Aerospace
Oct 8, 2001
US
I have had good success welding stainless with oxy-acetylene technique using high temperature flux all around the weld site, but the flux around the weld remains as a tight black fluoride "glass" coating that is unsightly and a real bear to remove with such techniques as wire brushing. Is there a safe, effective chemical approach to cleanup of this type of material?
The metals used are Types 304 and 316 (sometimes 304 welded to 316), welded with Type 308 filler rod. The weld zones are coated front and back with flux (powder suspended in water) and allowed to dry before mounting and welding. Also, I heat the filler rod end and dip it into the flux powder to keep it coated during welding. Slightly carburizing flame is maintained, to avoid oxygen impregnation.
Any suggestions appreciated. Please note that this is a "one man shop" with limited resources, not a modern production facility.
- Larry Cottrill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

rysep -

Thanks -- I'll check that out. After a while, I wasn't sure anyone would EVER answer that post! Not many out there are gas welding stainless (and I don't do much -- this is basically miniature pulsejet development; small stuff, but slow work).

Larry Cottrill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back