Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning up an imported file

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelkSA

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2013
ZA
I have a perfectly smooth solid body that was imported from a Parasolid.

The problem is that the body consists of a bunch of different surfaces, or artifacts (the body is actually a solid body, so it is not technically surfaces, but it looks like that).

I want to use this body for CFD but the problem is that the CFD package picks up all these individual surfaces.

Is there a way to remove all these 'artifacts' from the body and be left with a solid body that is covered with a single surface?

I am using NX9

------------------------------------------
Here's looking at you, looking at me, looking at you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi SDETERS

I am using NX9.

If I use the Delete Body command simply deletes the entire body.

The body is a solid, so if I delete the body, I am left with nothing.

Try using the Synchronous tool called delete face. You should be able to delete these faces. Or coplanar or move faces. trying using other Synchronous tools

You could also try running the 'Join Face' function which will merge common and adjoining planar and cylindrical faces.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I've used a few different FEA and CFD packages, none of which required the input body to have only a single face. Tiny faces or high aspect ratio faces were an occasional problem which were usually easy to clean up with the delete face or replace face commands.

Are you getting some sort of error in the meshing process? If not, I'd leave the model alone and use it as-is.

www.nxjournaling.com

Thank you for your inputs, but non of the recomendations work unfortunately.

The synchronous delet face just gives 'Delete failed because the remaining faces cannot close the area left after deleting the selected faces'.

Export-->Heal Geom also yields no significant result.

Join Face doesn't work as all the faces area irregularly shaped.

Cowski,

The problem is that in Ansys mesher I then have to separately select all the different faces if I want to apply some meshing method to that face.

It would be much more efficient if I can just select the entire face in one go. I am not sure if you are familiar with Ansys mesher, but I can select all the separate
faces and turn them into a named selection, but I can't select that named selected to apply a meshing method to it.

And apart from the CFD, I also need some approach to do this for another file that I need to clean up for other purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back