Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clearance at Steel Beam and Soil

Status
Not open for further replies.

StructTaco

Structural
Jun 19, 2009
US
What is the minimum clearance between a structural steel floor beam and the crawl space soil? I can't find anything in the California Building Code (CBC) 2007, based on the IBC 2006 or the ASCE 7-05. I can find weep screed clearance, and wood clearance, but not that required for exposed steel beams.

Thanks for any help,
Taco

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only thing I have ever seen is 12" for major beams and 18" for joists. I believe the driving force here is adequate access within the crawlspace itself.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Thanks, I've always associated the 12" BM/18" JST CLR with a wood number, because I thought it was a moisture/insect/rot problem with the wood since you can go to within 8" (previously 6") if it's pressure treated.

But the crawlspace access makes more sense and should be applicable to all materials.

Sorry, thinking out loud, much appreciated.

Speaking for myself, I do not like crawling under a beam with 12" clearance. I would suggest 18" minimum.

BA

I agree with BA...I'm a forensic engineer and frequently in crawlspaces...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back