Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

cloning and inter part expressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty239

Automotive
Jan 4, 2007
CN
I have a large assembly with many part files, and many of the part files have interpart expressions in both mating conditions and expressions. When I clone the assembly replacing part of the file name which is a must by the way, it is job# that changes and every part file has it. A few of the files have expressions or mating conditions that do not change causing some rework. Does anyone know why this occurrs ? and what a fix for it might be ? I appreciate any ideas out there. Currently running NX8.0 on windows, but this has been an issue since NX 4.0 maybe even before. I'm just getting around to this issue and would like to fix it.

Thanks

Smitty

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This assembly is really a library part, every main assembly starts with these files, lets say every file has k100_ bla bla bla. I go to this assembly load it to clone it and do a replace k100 with k805 and then clone the assembly. When i open this assembly and start working with it some of the files have their interpart expressions changed from k100 to k805 and some do not. same is true for mating conditions.

Smitty

Hi,

Do you generate a .clone file prior to executing the clone operation? If you don't do that, then do it.
Open your .clone file in a text editor.
Here I assume that your top assembly DOES NOT appear at the top?
Edit the order in the .clone file so that the "top assembly block" is the first of the components to be cloned (is the first "block").

---This require that all your parts to be cloned are components(/sub assemblies) in your top assembly.---

Load and apply your clone file and execute your cloning operation (with relevant tests first (dry run etc.)).

I would be surprised if this doesn't solve your problem.
Please tell us about your progress. :)

/Lars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back