Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Closing a single window in AutoCAD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesPaul82

Mechanical
Oct 3, 2003
CA
I'm having an issue closing just one drawing/window at a time. When I close my current drawing AutoCAD attempts to close ALL open drawings in AutoCAD. It will bring up the "Save Changes.." dialogue box if there is a change or just close it without warning if there isn't a change. Then it will just close AutoCAD altogether.

Doing a search all I was able to find was some suggetions of changing SDI from 0 to 1 but that doesn't fix the issue. Thanks.

Sean
Carmanah Design & Manufacturing Inc.
Vancouver, BC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IFRs, yes that seems to behave normally too. Maybe I'll just get in the habit of using that command rather than clicking the X with my mouse.

Sean
Vancouver, BC

LesPaul,

I attached a word document which shows how to correct this.

Click the down arrow and then select the option shown that says, "Show Menu Bar"

This will give you two "X"s...Use the bottom one to close single drawings.

The top one closes the program.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=713a75df-cdb0-473b-a4df-710a2c3e5f7b&file=Doc1.docx
Look into the SDI and STARTUP system variables.

SDI=1 One AutoCAD session per drawing, multiple drawings=a new session for each
SDI=0 One session of AutoCAD with multiple drawings open in it
STARTUP=0 Will display the select Template dialog box, or uses the default drawing template file set in Options
STARTUP=1 Starts session without opening a drawing template file, and displays the Startup or Create New Drawing dialog box
STARTUP=2 Starts session without opening a drawing template file

------------------------------
dwg to pdf

Thanks for the input.

shaggyco07: I understand the two x's. My issue is when I click on the bottom x, it closes AutoCAD completely.

TodPapillion: I've tried switching back and forth between these options too with no luck.

I think I'm going to try the old "reinstall" and see if there was some sort of issue during installation because I also get a crash when closing on occasion.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Sean
Vancouver, BC

My Autocad R2013 SP1.1 routinely crashes when I go File Open. I've gotten used to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back