Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clothes develop holes after repeated washing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricpete

Electrical
May 4, 2001
US
Thanks to all for help on my other question on pool pump/filter sizing. I was impressed with the expertise of this group. Here's a new question.

I moved into a home with a well approx 1 year ago. Ever since then all of our clothes start to develop holes. The more we wash them the worse they get. Presumably appears to be somehow linked to the water. Water was tested when we moved in and found acceptable. I checked it last week with pool pH kit and found 7.1.

Is there some other test I should do or some type of treatment I should try.

We do use a whole-house cartridge filter. About once a month I have to replace the filter or else we can start noticing a rusty color to the water. Filter housing has muddy reddish slime (clay?)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pete,

The Potability Test for domestic use is sufficient. It confirms that the water is fit for human consumption. If the water is making holes in your clothes, imagine what it must be doing to your internal organs. So, it's probably not the water. Is it happening to all your clothes? Or just particular materials, synthetics, cotton? I am assuming you have a well, since the water was tested. Rust staining is typical of groundwater from bedrock high in iron. The filter you are using should work fine for that. Ask some of your neighbors, usually a street or neighborhood on the same aquifer have similar water problems. This would be a great way to meet the new neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back